What we are listening to [2018]

8 Likes

That’s a great song, check this version out from the wonderful Lauren Housley

1 Like

What a talented crew! Yet another new band for me to explore. Two drummers? You don’t see that often. Well, I’m headed out in the rig for the weekend and will be “disconnect” until Sunday night. It’s good in one respect that I need the break, but bad in that I’ll be away from my Roon Core :frowning:

Have a great weekend.

1 Like

I just knew you were from the future! :wink:
I’ll have a listen as soon as i get the chance!

Yes, you have some great musicians there. Lauren, Thomas Dibb (Guitar) and Mark Lewis (Bass) Played my 60th Birthday. They are not only talented but great people too…

8 Likes

Negative Capability is the upcoming twenty-first studio album by British singer and songwriter Marianne Faithfull. It is scheduled to be released on 2 November 2018. Produced by Rob Ellis, Warren Ellis and Head, confirmed collaborations include Nick Cave, Ed Harcourt, and Mark Lanegan. Described as her “most honest album”, songs on Negative Capability deal with themes of love, death, as well as terrorism and loneliness. Faithfull also re-recorded three of the most notable songs of her career for the album: “As Tears Go By”, “It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue”, and "Witches’ Song. The lead single, “The Gypsy Faerie Queen”, was released on 14 September 2018.

Described by Faithfull as “the most honest record she’s ever made”, Negative Capability is to have a “folky” feel. “They Come at Night” was written with Mark Lanegan following the November 2015 Paris attacks. Faithfull said she got the idea from producer Hal Willner, and his theory that every seventy years the Nazis return in some form or another. She debuted the song during her concert at the Bataclan theatre in November 2016, a year after the terrorist attack took its place there.

7 Likes

RoonShareImage-636766709325180112

Anders%20Hagberg%20-%20Trust

Anders Hagberg has proven his musical prowess as an innovative and virtuoso improviser of flutes in genres like jazz and world music. With the new album TRUST, he takes his innovative expression to a new level with cinematic vocals, suggestive grooves and enchanting melodies.
He writes: The music for this album was originally created in interaction with visual artforms, such as dance, pictures, video, and sculpture… For a number of years now, I have carried out artistic research at Gothenburg University s Academy of Music and Drama. I have been looking at what you might call musical states: tonal spaces constructed by musical modes. In particular, I have focused on tone color in melody playing and the role of silence in musical expression. My work on states, sounds, and silences has informed all of the music you hear on this album.

Just baught on Qubuz. Prelistening

41KCr-IImGL

This album is in Tidal, will listen to it shortly.

What a beautiful story, thanks for posting it. I just love Charlie’s work.

1 Like

(24/88.2 download including digital booklet)

In his second ECM appearance (following a critically-acclaimed duo recording with Markus Stockhausen) pianist Florian Weber leads a strong cast through a programme of his compositions and sketches. Whether paying tribute to mentor Lee Konitz on “Honestlee”, impressionistically conveying the glittering “Melody of a Waterfall” or generating impactful drama out of fragments of sound on “Butterfly Effect”, Weber continually draws fresh responses from his players. “I wanted this project to be as open as possible”, he says. “It’s the idea of exploration that is important here, and the differences between the players.” The strong, grounded bass of Linda May Han Oh contrasts strikingly with Nasheet Waits’s fleet, fluid drumming, setting up new contexts for Ralph Alessi’s elegantly inventive trumpet and the leader’s highly creative piano playing. Lucent Waters was recorded at Studios La Buissonne in the South of France in September 2017, and produced by Manfred Eicher.

(info from challengerecords.com)

8 Likes

(24/88.2 download including digital booklet)

Andrew Cyrille’s title Lebroba is a contraction of Leland, Brooklyn and Baltimore, birthplaces of the protagonists of an album bringing together three of creative music’s independent thinkers. Each of them made his first ECM appearance long ago: drummer Andrew Cyrille on Marion Brown’s Afternoon of a Georgia Faun (1970), trumpeter Wadada Leo Smith on his own classic Divine Love (1978), and guitarist Bill Frisell on Eberhard Weber’s Fluid Rustle (1979); these are, of course, players of enduring influence. Frisell contributed to Cyrille’s previous ECM disc The Declaration of Musical Independence , but Lebroba marks a first-time meeting for the guitarist and Wadada Leo Smith. A generous leader, Cyrille gives plenty of room to his cohorts, and all three musicians bring in compositions, with “Turiya”, Wadada’s elegant dedication to Alice Coltrane, unfurling slowly over its 17-minute duration. In his own pieces, including the title track and the closing “Pretty Beauty”, Cyrille rarely puts the focus on the drums, preferring to play melodically and interactively, sensitive to pitch and to space. There are references to West African music and the blues as well as the history of jazz drumming, but Cyrille’s priority today is an elliptical style in which meter is implied rather than stated.

(info from challengerecords.com)

9 Likes

RoonShareImage-636767462122756780

5 Likes

2 Likes