What we are listening to [2019]

RoonShareImage-636836267659914000

This is a fantastic album. If I had to choose ten albums to take with me to an uninhabited island, ‘Burn The Sun’ would be among them.

1 Like

Listening to this on Qobuz beta 16/44.1 via my AVR Play- Fi app. Quality is good.

2 Likes

The French ‚Coleman Hawkins‘, wonderful straight ahead jazz/blues!

4 Likes

1 Like

“Little” Jimmy Scott, a true singer’s singer.
Billie Holiday said to him: "I hear what you’re doing, and you’re doing it right”.
Ray Charles said: "His voice just broke your heart”.
Marvin Gaye based his ballad style on Jimmy’s pleading delivery.
Lou Reed said that seeing Jimmy sing was “like seeing Hamlet or Macbeth all rolled up into a song”, and that “we all bow at the altar of Jimmy Scott”.
Nick Cave asked Jimmy to perform at his wedding party.
Madonna said that Jimmy’s voice was “the only singer who makes me cry”.
The New York Times dubbed Jimmy “the most unjustly ignored American singer of the 20th century”.
Etcetera, etcetera.

8 Likes

RoonShareImage-636836942890818070

3 Likes

7 Likes

Beethoven: String Quartet in C minor, Op. 18 No. 4 - Borodin Quartet

Well, I am shocked by this so far… an amazing MQA recording. Check out the Bass intro on track 3…

The album is so far from Heavy Metal as we are to Pluto… who sorts the genres?

4 Likes

RoonShareImage-636836947531662715

6 Likes

Pianist Steve Allee mixes seven originals and several covers on this mostly straight-ahead trio date with bassist Bill Moring and drummer Tim Horner. “Dragonfly” is the infectious title track, initially a brisk tune built upon a repeated motif, with Moring featured in its loping, bluesy centerpiece. His lush, laconic treatment of Leonard Bernstein’s “Somewhere” is a subtle affair, while his breezy, amusing treatment of “If I Were a Bell” honors the late Oscar Peterson as a part of his “Dedication Suite,” adding “Conversation with Bill” and “Thaddeus,” respectively saluting Bill Evans and Thad Jones. Tenor saxophonist Rich Perry, a veteran of the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra and a fine leader in his own right, is a guest on the Cuban-flavored “Bus to Belmopan” and the upbeat funky blues “Yummy.” Many listeners frown upon exploration of tunes from modern rock, as the songs often are too banal to work in a jazz setting, but Allee’s adaptation of Coldplay’s “X&Y” works rather well. The only misfire is his somewhat monotonous original “Hip Factor,” in which Allee incorporates electric keyboards and adds alto saxophonist Rob Dixon.

RoonShareImage-636836869750483520

3 Likes

Roon 1.6!

2 Likes

I am reviewing this album for HeadBangers Lifestyle webzine.
Really well written songs, great vocals, melodic choruses and great guitar riffs. A joy to listen to.

2 Likes

4 Likes

1 Like

13 Likes

mood

8 Likes

6 Likes

RoonShareImage-636837612097335632

2 Likes