What we are listening to [2021-01 to 2021-03]

3 Likes

Fantastic album. Wilson hinted there may be a second as the 10th anniversary is coming up next year - Iā€™d be all over that.

1 Like

Really been enjoying this album @SukieInTheGraveyard. As a big fan of Arab Strap thanks for the heads up. :sunglasses:

I have posted Malcolm Middleton albums here previously - much of his solo work is excellent (some not so :upside_down_face:). If I recall, nobody was interested, or just didnā€™t know who he was. :smile:

However, Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve not posted anything by Aidan. Here he plays with Scottish jazz bass luminary that has successfully lent his talents to a myriad of Indie (in particular) well known bands/artists (such as Yo Le Tengo, Jad Fair, Isobell Campbell, Belle & Sebastian et.al.)

Bill Wells & Aidan Moffat
Everythingā€™s Getting Older (2011)

Perhaps not a brilliantly consistent release. However, there are some great tracks on here as with most things Moffat.

Aidan

Aidan speaking on this slow number.
The Copper Top

2 Likes

This is a great album

Just thinking of my above Aidan Moffat post, it got me thinking thereā€™s just some amazing Scottish music, which largely gets little fanfare. Itā€™s as if the music media is controlled over in the US, yet thereā€™s plenty of British music mags. Perhaps living on the other side of the globe here, there is a greater emphasis on American music than British.

And just scouring the web I found out the above album was awarded Scottish album of the year & was placed #11 in Mojoā€™s albums of 2011 (no mean feats).

Hereā€™s another band ā€˜weā€™ donā€™t hear much about. Iā€™m not overly enamoured with them, I think as their bent is more ā€˜anthemicā€™ styled rock, which to generalise isnā€™t always my thing.

The Twilight Sad
Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters (2007)

Fourteen Autumns

The Twilight Sad
It Wonā€™t Be Like This All The Time (2019)

The Twilight Sad

3 Likes

Two postings of albums with Scarlatti sonatas today made me longing for some moreā€¦ This is Pierre HantaĆÆā€™s first Scarlatti recording from 1993 on AstrĆ©e; he still keeps releasing new albums dedicated to Scarlattiā€™s sonatas, now on the Mirare label.

7 Likes

Just received this earlier in the week - took quite a while to come from Germany. Really excellent new remaster of one of Riversideā€™s best albums.

7 Likes

Hereā€™s an artist nobody seems to speak of & yet, Iā€™m quite certain heā€™d find favour with some here.

Itā€™s Chris Eckman of The Walkabouts.

Theyā€™ve released some 15 albums. I could have selected any number. However, these two are a couple of better reviewed at least (although the bulk are positively received) Hereā€™s:
The Walkabouts
Satisfied Mind (1993)
As per the album cover this is an Americana/Alt Country ā€˜coversā€™ album.

Americana
The Walkabouts
Devilā€™s Road (1996)
Devils Road

Chris & Carla
Fly High Brave Dreamers (2007)
A largely tender album of indie style pop, where vocal duties are shared and always with lovely harmonies.
Chris and Carla

Things we should have known
https://youtu.be/EHrWqeYaS1s

4 Likes

1 Like

I have seen those rumors and feel the same way.

1 Like

11 Likes

8 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

7 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

11 Likes