What we are listening to [2021-01 to 2021-03]

I have played them but don’t own anything . Discovered them years back before Roon. But for some Reason I never added them to Tidal at the time. Had forgotten about them until your post. Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t usually think Chris Ekman (as per The Walkabouts posted above) when I think of Dirtmusic (the band). I usually think of Hugo Race who began his career before joining Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and playing on their first and third albums.

Since those heady days, he has released numerous albums under various names such as The Wreckery, Hugo Race and the (insert name because there have been quite a few). Sometime in the late 2000’s he formed Dirtmusic with Chris Ekman & Chris Brokaw (Codeine amongst many others.)

Dirtmusic
BKO (2010)

When the band attended the 2008 Festival in the Desert in Mali, they found common musical ground with the Touareg band Tamikrest, jamming with them almost non-stop for three days. The following year, the two groups met again in the Malian capital of Bamako for an intense recording session, which produced Tamikrest’s accomplished debut Adagh and this, an album named after the acronym for Bamako’s international airport.

While Dirtmusic’s contributions to Adagh were respectfully discreet, this record relies heavily on the desert blues vibe of Tamikrest. They’re effectively the backing band on most tracks, with vocals (in English) and guitars, banjos and keyboards by Dirtmusic. (Jon Lusc)

Dirtmusic

Dirtmusic
Bu Bir Ruya (2018)
Bu Bir

The journey through Mali that heavily influenced their last two albums has now taken a wider, more cinematic path and Dirtmusic have come up with the goods once more…(Joined by) Turkish psych visionary Murat Ertel of Baba Zula fame to produce a darker, heavier, more reverbed magic…an album of such staggering intricacy and meticulousness that it continues to impress listen after listen after listen. (Paul Scott Bates)

The Border Crossing

1 Like

I’m currently listening to 15 different mixes/permutations of Zaireeka by The Flaming Lips. 3 hours in and another 8 to go. The finale will be all 4 CDs at once, it’s entertaining, with the odd track causing high pitch noise discomfort, CD1, track 6, I’m looking at you. Gonna be most of the day, but it’s a proper rainy northern England day so…

1 Like

These guys are so deeply influence by Pink Floyd. In fact I’d say this album is better than more than one PF album,

2 Likes

WGS :thinking:
Willard Grant Conspiracy

I opted to play WGS as I thought there was a Chris Eckman connection. Perhaps I’m wrong, I can’t find any easily, but they’ve always been like a halfway house of like-minded artists & I did notice Terri Moeller and Carla Torgerson (The Walkabouts) have played on their albums. So perhaps that’s what I was thinking with the Eckman connection.

I think their last release is about the same as any to get the idea here. They’ve been making dark Americana since the mid 90’s. I do like their music, just often I feel they sound like a parody of themselves where lyrically everything is drenched in ‘pain’ of some kind or another!

Ghost Republic (2013)

Willard Grant

2 Likes

6 Likes

Nostro somehow the term dark Americana caught my attention as I was scrolling down through the overnight post’s.
Added it for listening after the next couple of album’s that I added yesterday (because the queue length must never get to <1)

Edit : it’s pretty good, though I was unsure what to expect with the genre of dark Americana

2 Likes

This is a wonderful record, thanks @Rockhound
Proper not wanting to move on a Saturday or Sunday morning listening.

3 Likes

Just started a listen myself - very promising.

Just coming to the end and it doesn’t disappoint at all.
There have been a large number of female singers posted here this year that have stayed in my library or been purchased and this will be another of those.
Enjoy it.

3 Likes

It’s been a while and still sounds great.

11 Likes

3 Likes

Stunning album and stands the tests of time.

I have some of this lot to.

2 Likes

Yes it set me off to eBay to buy a couple more album’s and mission complete (the 2018 re-release seems to have more oomph than my original)

I ended up using Focus mode to find all the album’s in my library from 1980-1989 that I haven’t played in a year and it’s a long list :pleading_face:
So I have about 8 hours of (what I consider) good music lined up. Should be fun afternoon and evening until I have the room taken off me.
Though the rugby will be on muted

Going to have to go against popular opinion on this one. Didnt gel with me at all last night when I listened to it. Might try it again to see if it was my mood.

20 Likes

That’s all good. I listen to plenty of album’s once.
Often mood dependant, this felt like a Saturday or Sunday morning listen, and it is (for me)

3 Likes