What we are listening to [2021-01 to 2021-03]

Another throwback

Following on with another New York outfit. Despite its luke warm reviews I really like this album, some good poppier moments than what Interpol etc where creating at the same time from the new wave revival. It’s lighter then their piers but is more fun for it maybe why it was dismissed so. Saw them live after this came out and they put on a very good show.

1 Like

Dusters and big hats. Lol

1 Like

A quick pallete cleanser before more Zaireekaing

5 Likes

I think this is my favourite National album. Saw them in the 100 club in London just after Dirty Lovers came out they where superb. Saw them again after Alligator and then Boxer. Not seen them since. Must see them again at some point.

3 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

From Glossa Music’s web:

Mara Galassi is active as a soloist (on a variety of instruments, from the Gothic harp, to Renaissance harps with brays to double and triple row instruments) and has worked with many of the best ensembles in the European early music field. As musicologist Mara Galassi has carried out extensive research in the field of historical harps: Her first solo recording on Glossa was Il Viaggio di Lucrezia , now reissued on Glossa Cabinet, a historical fantasy based on the travels of harpist Lucretia Urbana between 1584 and 1615 and featuring the music from Galassi’s beloved Italian 17th century with composers active in Italy at the time and played on an arpa doppia .

3 Likes

I think it’s been a few years since I listened to this and last.fm says I have never scrobbled it before

I saw these live in 87/88 can’t remember exactly. They had the James Taylor Quartet as support if I remember. The week before it was The Primitives.

1 Like

I saw them the time this album came out.
They were very good, I thought they would have a lot more to give than one more album

Edit : ooh the primatives, that’s another throwback :+1:t2:

1 Like

Sits somewhere beside Sigur Ros.

4 Likes

Not at home then Jim?

Just to throw something completely different into the mix as well. Just squeezed into the 80s criteria

10 Likes

Yep, at the mother-in-law’s for a week. Audirvana works well when away from home since I’m just streaming from Tidal and Qobuz.

Great album. Not the biggest hip hop fan but this crossed over to me along with Cypress Hill and Jurassic 5.

1 Like

Yes I got into this and Tone-Loc summer of 89 ish.
Then it all seemed to go Gangsta rap and I lost interest for quite some time.
But this still sound’s fresh

No. 1 this week in 1978 with Wuthering Heights.

1 Like

6 Likes