What we are listening to [2021-01 to 2021-03]

Such an outstanding album! And one of the best album covers of all time.

1 Like

3 Likes

3 Likes

Wife just commented on why hasnā€™t she heard any of these songā€™s in years

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for digging this one up! Such an amazing album from De La Soul. Yes, Iā€™m old enough to remember when rap was good :rofl:

1 Like

We were having the same conversation in my house. My son is 21 (and is a huge rap fan) and had never heard this. Was a real joy to listen to the whole album for about the first time in 10 years.

(I think it ought to be summer listening, but itā€™s Wales in March so no chance)

1 Like

The A major clarinet quintet is one of my favourite Mozart pieces, and this is a very nice rendition indeed.

10 Likes

What a shame that Sophicide project only produced one album. There is something about this album that makes you wonder what they could have released in futureā€¦

2 Likes

5 Likes

Another from the golden age of rap :wink:

7 Likes

5 Likes

Lovely album from last year. Haunting voice and moving lyrics.

RoonShareImage-637512722389517520

I had genuinely forgotten about them and that album, though I donā€™t own it anymore. Think I might have had it on cassette many many years ago.
But itā€™s definitely on par with the De la Soul and Tome-Loc albumā€™s I referenced :+1:t2:

One of my favorite covers.

1 Like

Just like I doā€¦although very often I scroll back up. :rofl: And if Iā€™ve been busy during the week, thereā€™s plenty of scrolling!

Glad you have found something on that release. I think musically itā€™s fairly strong & the violin is rather lovely.

Thanks for the update, itā€™s always good to hear that somebody has given a ā€˜newā€™ band a go & some of their thoughts.

Cheers. :musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note:

1 Like

I loved that album on its release. I do like hip hop, especially the so-called golden age. However, thereā€™s still plenty I like currently & plenty that I donā€™t. I really like many of the British grime artists also!

As for Arrested Developmentā€¦Iā€™m fairly sure Iā€™d cringe if I tried to listen to that album today. :grimacing:

1 Like

I try to fit in a couple of new albumā€™s/bands a day and more on the weekend. This one I enjoyed very much. The strings were excellent anf I will try another soon.

Currently listening to another recommendation at the moment from @CrystalGipsy though I am a little unsureā€¦ (Bodega). I might have to go and listen to another Tindersticks album instead :grin:

Edit : I failedā€¦ Couldnā€™t make it more than 4 ttacks in

5 Likes

Sitting on my desktop from last weekend when I was listening to itā€¦very much like his dad with sweeter vocals. Unfortunately, to my ears, the gritty vocal stylings of Fela really set the scene for what was largely political music, despite the good vibe music.

Not bad by any means & nicely produced with that big sound.

Femi Kuti
Stop The Hate (2021)

Femi

4 Likes

Thatā€™s fine. Bodega is not for everyone.

This really is a stunning debut album

10 Likes