What we are listening to [2021-01 to 2021-03]

But apparently the Tindersticks are :grin::+1:t2:

(Really unsure about Bodega, liked the first track, second track ok and then it fell apart quickly and felt like a sub par Beastie Boyā€™s. Itā€™s been a long day of Music so I will maybe try the other album another day)

As per my above postā€¦this is what I played after Femi last weekend. However, itā€™s being played right now. I feel this instrumental album has that soundtrack vibe of perhaps the late 60s-early '70s, where youā€™d likely see wide-brimmed collars, tight fitting pants with flares & cars befitting the era traveling down the wrong side of the tracks perhaps just before a drug deal is going down. The sound of the recording itself certainly sounds less than modern.

The album speaks to the dexterity of both the musicians and the songs themselves, which are flexible enough to shine whether theyā€™re presented as diabolical Afro-metal or more relaxed soundtrack fare. (allmusic)

Chico Mann
Double Life (2021)

Chico

8 Likes

Didnā€™t make my unplayed 80s list as I have listened to it several times already this year.
But once more wonā€™t hurt

5 Likes

11 Likes

Given that Iā€™m playing it now @Michael_Harris ā€¦

There But for the Grace of God is the starting place for Willard Grant. Itā€™s a compilation with a cpl of bonus/unreleased tracks.

Bed are Burning Live 2021

I tried to play the full concert of this on my tv, but the mix/recording was just atrocious (almost zero guitar) and Peter I thought got off to a really slow start. However, by about half way through heā€™d taken his shirt of and got going. You can see it hereā€¦

4 Likes

1 Like

Thanks Nostro I have added it for a listen tomorrow

1 Like

3 Likes

Cam Butlerā€¦he just doesnā€™t get enough love.

Before he started recording under his own name, he was in the instrumental trio Silver Ray. They only disbanded as the drummer Brett Poliness came down with a debilitating elbow injury from the drums & out of respect for him they didnā€™t continue on with a new drummer. After recoding 3 great albums some years later Cam formed The Carolinas. It was only afterwards he began recording under his own name.

Along the way he has been a member or recording member of many luminary Melbourne based artists such as Charlie Marshall (Harem Scarem). He has over the past 5+ years lent his talents to playing with another Australian luminary Ron S. Peno (Died Pretty), who now records under his name & The Superstitions.

The best way to describe Camā€™s instrumental music is to coin a phrase: ā€˜cinematicā€™. Iā€™d also add to that at times romantic, yet others seemingly visceral.

He is genuinely a master Les Paul player (w/Bigsby, so thereā€™s some twang); only ever using his trusty ebony. I think he has used a 12 string acoustic on some recordings. His more recent recordings include orchestration which he writes.

If I was forced to pick an album this would likely be it (at least for today as Iā€™m playing it).

Cam Butler
Save My Soul (2012)

Cam

I Was Lost

2 Likes

hdRhSHE

First song I danced to at a rock nightclub in the late 80s, and the first time Iā€™d heard:

Edge of Seventeen

It was my 14thā€¦

6 Likes

4 Likes

Really enjoying this - melodic prog metal from Lebanon. Yesterday sure was a good day for new music :sunglasses:

2 Likes

RoonShareImage-637512701878830870

18 Likes

You just caused me to re-arrange my listening queue. That is such a fantastic album that has gone unlistened to for far too long!

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

9 Likes