What We Are Listening To [2021-05]

4 Likes

Sounds cheery :wink: will be listening shortly.

1 Like

Picked this up at a charity shop couple days ago, hard to go wrong at $1
lol

26 Likes

6 Likes

An album that I didn’t listen to when it came out last year, but am definitely in the mood for today.

5 Likes

Great album. Hope you have an early mastering!

10 Likes

9 Likes

2 Likes

11 Likes

First outing for this most excellent album on brand new mofi vinyl.

8 Likes

Ooh very nice
 Unfortunately nothing else is First and last and always, but nice anyway.

The former being one of my best vinyls and the one album I can always say sounded best on vinyl. Though truth be told memory is fickle and I have not heard it on vinyl since about 1992 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That’s Jim Steinman’s finest work IMHO, I’ve even got the cassette singles :wink:

Inclined to agree but the 12" Reptile House EP always felt “peak goth” to me:

https://i.imgur.com/8PCDHnK.png

5 Likes

A welcome weekend listen: Jordi Savall and his instrumental and vocal groups playing Vivaldi and Bach. The two Magnificats are frequently recorded, but here they are captured live in a great acoustic space. Great solo and choral singing

RoonShareImage-637554560655017630

7 Likes

Maybe Siouxsie Sioux might argue peak Goth as she certainly has a claim :wink:
No argument from me overall, but FALAW as a consistent piece of work still towers over most anything else Goth.
Though Kevin posted the Cult’s Love this morning and while that has some moments of greatness as well, it does not measure up as a whole.

1 Like

Listen to Imelda MAY on 1st of MAY

3 Likes

Just checked out the Wikipedia entry on the Reptile House EP, the artist’s commentary is typically spiteful Eldritch.

On records like ‘Reptile House’ or ‘Temple of Love’ they [Gary Marx and Craig Adams] didn’t even play. They weren’t into recording that much, they just wanted to play live. They were sleeping in some corner until I woke them up after I had played and recorded everything on my own. When they asked me how their guitar and bass parts had turned out, I used to say to them they performed very well. Gary didn’t even listen to ‘The Reptile House EP’ until it had been released on vinyl and I handed it to him with the words, ‘This is our new record, you’ll like it!’

In truth, I pity the poor fool who joined a band with the guy, not a team player. I suspect he even fell out with Doctor Avalanche in the end. That said, I’m started now:

https://i.imgur.com/gih6RTi.png

4 Likes

1 Like

You tried that’s all that matters. We can’t like everything everybody likes.

2 Likes