What We Are Listening To [2021-09]

Of course you do Kevin :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

5 Likes

Interpol - Marauder

It’s their latest, far from greatest and an album whose production makes me the iratest.

Less Turn on the Bright Lights, more Turn Down the Drum Track.

2 Likes

Lol
But I dont have this one on vinyl although I think I should.
It is excellent and exceedingly good SQ!

10 Likes

Marais opera. Worth a listen. Very rarely performed or recorded…

6 Likes

That is a cracking album - one of Joe’s very best.

2 Likes

I also reached the slow train. Just set off.

This is a superb album… to introduce it I’ll for once rely on Allmusic’s anonymous reviewer:

Early seventeenth century Italy was essentially a Catholic police state and nothing that had anything to do with the Church was left unsupervised. After the Sack of Rome and the Reformation, in Milan as elsewhere in Italy, music was directed to be simple, solemn, and sublime in that order. In response, as this splendid disc by Le Poème Harmonique directed by Vincent Dumestre demonstrates, the composers of Milan dissimulated. Vincenzo Ruffo, maestro di cappella of the Duomo, dropped his elegantly ornate madrigal style and wrote the austerely beautiful Missa Quarti Toni but imbued with the same sense of luminous joy. The Archbishop of Milan told Aquilino Coppini to provide contrafacta – new words for pre-composed music – for the glory of the God and Coppini turned in sanctified versions of Monteverdi’s erotic madrigals but with the same sense of rapturous ecstasy. The Cardinal from Rome ordered that only fauxbourdon – “false bass” or two-part harmony – was to be sung in church and musicians evolved the fauxbourdon into richly ornamented but absolutely lucid and with the same sense of the transcendent bliss. As these sumptuously executed and passionately dedicated performances prove, even the Church could not eliminate spirituality from church music. Alpha’s sound, notes, and graphics are, as always, executed at the highest possible level.

10 Likes

I am a bit of a fiend for the trumpet, and came across this whilst hunting down some more Koželuch music. Very enjoyable indeed.

5 Likes

And on to another Czech composer.

10 Likes

16 Likes

18 Likes

2 Likes

16 Likes

2 Likes

They should have won the Mercury Prize (imo).

RoonShareImage-637686387696917310

4 Likes

2 Likes

10 Likes

For myself this is one of their better efforts, mainly because it rocks a bit harder than others and has some great songwriting and singing content too.

12 Likes

8 Likes