What We Are Listening To [2021-10]

Very nice listen!

3 Likes

So much for the tag line for C.D. when Phillips/Sony released the format :-1: perfect sound for ever.
Vinyl lasts much longer.

1 Like

5 Likes

The Romanian George Enescu (1881-1955) is another of the 20th century composers I appreciate a lot. There’s more than his well-known Roumanian Rhapsodies and his Octet, and this album from 2017 bears witness to this fact.

Daniel Rowland is known as first chair of the Brodsky Quartet, but he is also performing and recording as recital soloist and in other chamber music settings. With his recital partner Natacha Kudritskaya he has recorded a beautiful album with French sonatas from the time between the wars (‘Années Folles’) and this album with music by Enescu. He delights in Nuevo Tango and has been part of several recordings in this genre.

As usual, the engineers recording at the Champs Hill music room have done a great job balancing the instruments and producing a tonally fine, transparent and natural-sounding recording.

5 Likes

Had to move some stuff around so setting up my sub again with this.

2 Likes

It’s ancient until you reach it :+1:

Got that covered. :wink:

1 Like

18 Likes

which is a superb album. He died at 43 in a car accident.

6 Likes

Had these waiting for quite a while because of the 3 post rule which I understand on most threads but not this one.

3 Likes

7 Likes

6 Likes

This recent release showcases German harpsichord music from the first half of the 17th century. The label’s blurb mentions how Froberger and Matthias Weckmann met in 1649 at the Dresden Court for a musical competition and became friends.

Weckmann (1616–1674) was a pupil of Heinrich Schütz and Jacob Praetorius and active mainly in Dresden.

There’s lately been a rich harvest of very apt French harpsichord interpreters, and Moulin plays beautifully on his instrument made by Philippe Humeau, copy of an undated Ruckers instrument.

6 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/MmbInMW.png

3 Likes

Just chilling after a very enjoyable afternoon ride on the Spyder with the better half ( her first time out on it). All went splendiferously indeed so my money spent was at least not in vain :innocent:

4 Likes

4 Likes

This is really exceptional.

5 Likes

Vivaldi and those inspired by him…

I don’t remember if i posted this last December but, if so, this is a great and enjoyable album and deserves to be rediscovered from time to time…

5 Likes

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve listened to this since I was a teenager. Rediscovered it, and what a great album. Recent hi-res remaster sounds absolutely phenomenal.

12 Likes