What We Are Listening To [2022-07]

1 Like

1 Like

@Grump Both parts are excellent on these recent releases IMHO.

Can’t beat Capstick Comes Home for me for as a comedy song, reminds me of my childhood. With a such a great line as" You Spawney Eyed Parrot Faced Wazzock!"

8 Likes

True, but IMHO they haven’t made a bad record yet. Looking forward to Parts III and IV!

2 Likes

Agreed. Love listening to Bound for Glory (Live) amongst others of theirs on the Headphones and IEMs. Soundstage is awesome.

1 Like

My dad didn’t listen to music much but did like comedy songs. Gilbert and Sullivan and Stanley Holloway - Albert and the Lion. So I inherited it from him :grinning:

1 Like

2 Likes

4 Likes

I had my dad playing the Goons on record. Loved it was so funny.

9 Likes

My brother’s did the goons and Peter Sellers.
Still one of the funniest LP covers

5 Likes

12 Likes

With this set, released today, the German Armida Quartett complete their outstanding Mozart cycle on CAvi Records. This project, started in 2015, combined the investigative work of musicologists, the editorial review of the musicians, and the publishing of a new Urtext edition of Mozart’s string quartets. This is warmly recommended to every music lover as much enchanted by the classical string quartet repertoire as I am…

8 Likes

8 Likes

Giving this another listen…

2 Likes

Received the Vinyl today. Truly great record. Bill Evans last Studio recording.

1 Like

Editorial Reviews [Amazon]

Product Description

Early Times is an anthology of tracks from Honeychurch’s critically acclaimed and criminally unavailable records Calling Me Home (2001) and Makes Me Feel Better (2004). Twelve remastered songs, plus two previously unreleased demos - 14 tracks of what Miles of Music called ‘rapturous, romantic, blissfully transcendent, sweetly reverent, sun-drenched pop’

Review

‘Honeychurch blends the influences of Neil Young, Nick Drake, Mojave 3 and The Byrds to make gorgeous pastoral music … lush, organic, orchestral, aching, ethereal…’ --No Depression

‘resplendent in sonic riches…It’s only very occasionally that you hear something by an artist that you have never heard of before, and wonder where they’ve been all your life. Imagine an enticing hybrid of the best of Luna, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Low, and a host of fantastically obscure 60’s orchestral pop…in a parallel universe, ‘Chancery Lane’ would be number one all year around…’ --Gerant jones, Comes with a Smile (UK)

‘Imagine if The Red House Painter’s Mark Kozelek added harmonies out of Mojave 3 and the Byrds…the singing, strings, and lap steel are exquisite. Like the Pernice Brothers, you suspect these guys dig Bread as much as Gram Parsons, hooked on the elegiac sweetness of old songs…’ --Jack Rabid, The Big Takeover, Jack’s Top 40

3 Likes

Hadn’t spotted this, so will be adding it to my Tidal faves, thanks. As it happens, we’re currently listening to this - fantastic playing of these well known pieces!

3 Likes