What Would Be A Great DAC HAT for Raspberry Pi 4 with Headphone Output

As the title says, what would be a great DAC HAT for a Raspberry Pi 4 with headphone out? I built another RPi4 with RoPieeeXL and it looks like nobody wants it. So, I was thinking about taking it out of the FLIRC case and adding a DAC HAT for headphones. It doesn’t matter if it does MQA or not, but I would want 24/192 at least. It is a 1GB RPi4 if that matters. Thanks.

If there are no better options, I will simply use it with my Dragonfly Cobalt.

1 Like

Not many for the Pi, I have a just boom DAC that has a headphone out its not very good. The Pecan Pi DAC has a dedicated headphone section. If you already have a Dragonfly just stick with that.

1 Like

Dragonfly is a better solution I think and it allows the FLIRC case to still be used for heat dissipation. And it saves you money not having to buy something else.

I have some HAT’s with headphones out like IQAudIO DAC pro on older RPi3’s that are less heat generating.

1 Like

Not sure about the gain, but these sound very nice. The headphone output is pretty reasonable compared to other Pi-based solutions, easily bettered by a separate hp amp though.
(The linked HAT sounds pretty remarkable as a DAC though)

1 Like

The PecanPi DAC has a built in headphone amp for both balanced and regular headphones. Let me know if you have any quesions:
www.orchardaudio.com/pecanpi-dac

2 Likes

Yes it will work you will just have to change the output device in the settings.

It will work with Rpi 4, the optional case is only for Pi3B+ and earlier models.

2 Likes

You’re welcome! But they work equally well on a Pi4 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. Ropieee does not consume a lot of power. If you are really worried you can put a small passive heatsink on the processor of the Pi4. Make sure it is a low profile one to not interfere with the DAC.

1 Like

I have an apple Pi, predecessor to the Pecan Pi, and am quite happy with it. Good choice, I suspect.

2 Likes

My setup is completely different, bar that fantastic grey mat on the left of the pic. It keeps the base very clean :wink: Enjoy the music.

My mobile setup is almost the same with the wh-1000xm3 streaming via ipad

"Mobile"as in early Compaq :grinning:

1 Like