What's coming in Roon OS 2.0 (not Roon 2.0, but Roon OS 2.0)?

I believe that it is still the case that multichannel audio via HDMI is still not possible with DietPI (and certainly not possible with Ropieee).

If this is so, then using ROCK/NUC simply as a Roon Bridge remains a valid use case?

1 Like

I appreciate the simplicity and elegance of RoonOS on NUC, I would like to see that continue. In my mind my Rock/NUC core is battling my toaster for the least sexiest appliance in my house, and would like to keep it that way.

For those with more advanced requirements or desires there are other very good options to run Roon Core which allow significant customization. I came from that world, and left it for Rock/NUC for a reason.

With that said, I would like to see a password protecting the exposed shares from Roon OS.

I would also like to see some Key Performance Indicators on the dashboard which would be useful for those troubleshooting issues in their environment without having to go to Roon support

5 Likes

Totally.

Agreed, and the web admin page too. It needs a bit more protection than “are you sure” for re-formatting the Internal Music Storage or resetting the Roon Database & Settings.

2 Likes

I think you’re mixing Roon Core, Bridge etc. with the OS. The Roon client will update/ notify Roon Core running on Roon OS or Roon Bridge running on, for example Ropieee, if set to update automatically.

Yeah sorry, I never noticed ventoy can directly boot .img files. Image still doesn’t boot properly on UEFI systems but that’s a separate issue.

yah, UEFI is on the list… its in progress already.

7 Likes

@danny, I echo the call for the ability to host extensions (though personally I use @Jan_Koudijs indispensable Alarm Clock directly in RoPieee).

I would love to expose basic diagnostic information (temperature especially, but also some network usage stats). I use RRDtool (RRDtool - About RRDtool) for my RoPieee devices, but that doesn’t produce the prettiest graphs. It would be very cool to integrate basic ROCK stats with information about what is playing (bit rate, how many zones, how many different streams) in one view (with a few different timescales available).

Thank you for releasing ROCK; I love it.

My take as a very happy ROCK user and a guy that’s been in IT forever (I’m actually in InfoSec) -->. I like the appliance feel of ROCK running on my i7 NUC. I love the fact that it works 99.99% of the time.

I work IT all day, and I love a computer that needs about the same amount of maintenance as.my toaster.

In other words, I love the status quo. Of course I’ll appreciate new ideas, but don’t hurt the performance or the high availability of my ROCK. Please. :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Possibility to set the rock in sleep mode…

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Backup on startup?

I am running a few Hifiberry, Volumio and dietpi instances and I am aware that RoonBridge tells me when an update is available through the Roon Desktop interface.
What does not get updated is the OS stack in these instances. So I have to open the HifiBerry UI and then check if a HifiBerry Update is available and update manually. Same for the others.
With Roon ROCK everything including the OS stack gets updated at once. That’s what I would be looking for in ROCK 2.0 Roon Endpoint Edition.

2 Likes

I don’t know if that’s Roon OS, but I suspect it is. Installing HQ Player on my NUC alongside ROCK would be huge. Main problem now is that streaming endpoints have to support HQ Player’s NAA protocol. If HQ Player running parallel or within Roon OS would enable me to send the upscaled audio via RAAT, that would be totally amazing.

1 Like

My vote goes to:
Network bridging
UI on HDMI

YES! Importing music files from MacOS to internal Nucleus drive currently results in all music files in folders containing accented/special characters being unplayable in Roon (despite RoonOS being able to see those directories and files). Not clear whether this is a Roon or a RoonOS bug, but extremely vexing.

1 Like

The focus should be 100% on improving sound quality to meet exceed that of AudioLinux, Euphony, etc. Related to this:

1. ability to boot the OS to RAM rather than from disk ( operate 100% from RAM with no read/write from disk other than to grab audio files

2. minimize system utilization not directly related to playback

3. minimize network chatter, especially during music playback

4. any and all other levers you all can pull to get ROCK sound quality on par with other dedicated music playback OS’s

2 Likes

Like allways, comparisons like this are meaningless without any reference to how you use the computer running ROCK, directly to a USB dac or ethernet connected to an endpoint.

What metric would you suggest, to compare the two and measure progress in this regard?

Processor latency test can be a metric.

Latency

1 Like

In my case. Network Bridging is the most relevant wishlist.

I was an user of ROCK. But after I tested connecting the streamer straight to the Intel NUC (Roon Core). I couldn’t think of rolling back…

With Rpi3 I could set up a fixed IP adress and it was isolated and working fine. But with opticalRendu only with DHCP assigned IP address.

That’s why I had to go with Audio-Linux instead of ROCK due to network bridging support.

How would you connect that to sound quality, though?