What's coming in Roon OS 2.0 (not Roon 2.0, but Roon OS 2.0)?

I’ve not read this entire thread, but I’m sure it’s been mentioned before that the list of supported Intel NUC Kits is in desperate need of updating. I frequently recommend ROCK builds to friends, but it’s increasingly difficult for them to find the necessary parts. I did a quick survey myself, and I could find no authorized Intel retailers with the officially supported part numbers in stock:

In this chart, by “Limited Supply”, I mean that I could only find parts available on grey market sites. These may also be available on the used market, but I would not trust that due to lack of reliable return policy, etc.

It makes me sad to see Roon OS and ROCK, apparently, dying a slow death for new users due to lack of renewed hardware support. I believe this all comes down to lack of UEFI boot, but perhaps there are other factors as well.

For me, none of the other proposed or suggested features of Roon OS 2.0 matter in the slightest if the hardware required to run it in a supported fashion is unavailable. I propose an immediate MVP release with support for (a reasonable subset of) the current line of Intel NUC Kits with few or no additional features.

Yes, MOCK is a workaround, but it’s not one that I am willing to recommend. Again, I would drop all features from the roadmap for now to get UEFI boot and 11th gen NUCs supported for the first release. Thanks.

19 Likes