What's coming in Roon OS 2.0 (not Roon 2.0, but Roon OS 2.0)?

Yes please

I agree. I’ve been holding off on buying a NUC to install ROCK because at this point the only hardware it can be installed on is a couple years old. If I’m spending the money, I want it to run on the latest hardware (NUC12). The other features can be added as updates to 2.0, but please release UEFI support for newer NUCs.

5 Likes

For your information, i just bought one new set of NUC10i5fnhn and the manufacturing month is March 2022. So I understand there is very large supply in the market for NUC10.

I would greatly appreciate some energy / power management options in Rock! Especially now that Arc allows access from outside the home, it would be great to be able to turn on and off rock from inside the Arc app. If that’s not possible, scheduling turning the server on and off would already be a good improvement. It would reduce a lot of energy wasted while Rock is sitting idle!

1 Like

I think it’s a good point you mention but it’s worth noting that a 7i5 can run a Roon ROCK core very easily for all but the most demanding users and that uses much less power than the latest NUC’s.

Yes, as I commented here Intel NUC - Roon Rock - only for TIDAL - #8 by simon_pepper with this chart

111d1e1d33b929934fd32eed477f82181efd37c1_2_690x346

Some of the best ‘bang for the buck’ is still with the NUC7 line, with a TDP of 15W, unlike the NUC8 range, you can get as good as a NUC10, in terms of single thread performance (which is the important factor to ROCK’s performance)

I think the problem is more about availability. It’s really difficult in many parts of the world to get your hands on a nuc 7- or 8-series.

1 Like

Yes, I had to go secondhand on a NUC7i7DNKE to replace the previous NUC5i3MYHE I had been using since 2016.
Just updated the BIOS, put Corsair Vengeance SODIMM 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL16 Memory in and a new Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB PCIe NVMe M.2, and loaded up ROCK, for a good-as-new Roon Core server.

Have the existing DDR4 RAM and M.2 SSD that came with it as spare, plus 2 NUC5i3MYHE (with 8GB and 240GB SATA) loaded with ROCK as backup/reserve servers, just incase.

If NUCs are getting in such short supply, I may offer one of these for sale, to help someone out, though they are the minimal supported NUC on the list.

I picked my 7i5 up second hand too. It just made more sense at the time. I had assumed that more of them would be coming onto the market as people using them for full blown windows machines will move onto the newer machines.

I’m struggling to get an Akasa case for mine at the moment. It’s on backorder but I think they’ve been discontinued.

I managed to fine one from a supplier in Germany who had new old stock.

Let me know if you want the details.

I was waiting to see if the HDplex NUC cases are coming back in stock any time soon, as I think for a DIY Nucleus they look better than the Akaska cases.
But then my NUC is away from the ‘frontend’ components as part of the backend with the NAS units, routers, etc.

Only one! Support to UEFI Boot mode.

5 Likes

3 needs:

1. UEFI boot to cope with new devices and beyond NUC.
  2. Ressources monitoring (CPU, RAM and Temperatures).
  3. The ability to improve multi core usage. For instance, being able to use more than 2 cores or threads for DSD conversion if I want.

Regarding the last need, it is a shame to have a server with 4 cores / 8 threads but not being able to perform DSD 256 conversion because 2 cores / threads are full (processing speed < 1) when the 6 other cores / threads are idle. I can see this thanks to the exaSound OS running Roon Core.

2 Likes

Given all the support threads about broken ROCK/Nucleus(+) installations after power outages, how about UPS support so the systems can shutdown safely? Something like NUT added to Roon OS?

2 Likes

Huh? What’s breaking on power outages? I’ve only heard about power spikes killing hardware.

I can look into NUT but I believe it can already call the power off API.

I don’t know? Roon Labs never shared that knowledge? There are just quite a few threads of Nucleus users starting with “After a power outage …” that usually need to be resolved by turning in the unit for repair/replacement. Did you guys ever analyze the reason (what was broken/failed) on these units?

Some of my thoughts I summarized in this post:

Update
PS: It is very likely for power spikes to occur when power returns after an outage. I thought that this is common knowledge but possibly miss-judged the situation.

1 Like

I had some power issues at home that eventually lead to the corruption of my boot drive on my Nucleus+ which lead to me investing in a UPS, but can’t connect the UPS USB to the N+ to let it know the power has gone & that it needs to shut down so am definitely ‘plus 1’ on the above feature request…
(& I’m in the UK so worried we might start to have power issues over the winter now :wink: )

Adding in something like apcupsd has been suggested (a linux utility which allows it to talk with APC UPS and get a shut down based on power settings).

1 Like

NUT support would give you more options than apcupsd.

My APC UPS is already putting those messages out on my LAN, through one of my Netgear ReadyNAS units. The other ReadyNAS units are listening on the opened port and will undertaken a graceful shutdown if/when battery power is insufficient to continue.

It would be great to have this extend to ROCK for the Roon Core.

1 Like