What's coming in Roon OS 2.0 (not Roon 2.0, but Roon OS 2.0)?

something like apcupsd would work for me. :smiley:

1 Like

music streaming is a real-time (time-dependent) process. latency is a key metric.

1 Like

Triple yes yes yes yes.

1 Like

Live streaming is real-time. Music streaming is a well-understood non-real-time process, implemented by dozens of apps everywhere. Latency is an issue, to be sure, but not an insurmountable one. Not clear itā€™s a ā€œkey metricā€.

Not looking for a debate, and I realize the DAC should use buffering so theoretically latency of the server/streamer shouldnā€™t matter. However, in my listening tests with my Chord DAVE the lower the streamer latency, the better the sound. Many others have found the same. Do wish I had a clear understanding of the mechanism.

Sure. Much clearer when you cite your experience with a particular DAC/amp combo, rather than stating it as an axiomatic certainty. I see there is some controversy over whether the DAVE is well-designed; perhaps itā€™s just the box thatā€™s the issue.

ASR / Amir, lol

1 Like

I know a bunch of folks (@Chris_Camphuisen @ipeverywhere @ogdens_sliced) have already asked for it and discussed it above, but Iā€™m new to the whole rsync thing. Because of my particular situation - NAS in Home A, Rocks in Home A and Home B, OpenVPN site-to-site between Home A and Home B, using rsync to mirror full music directory from NAS master to USB-connected storage on ROCKs in both Home A and Home B. Having a mounted deep-linked directory from Home A ROCK on NAS in Home A is fine. But when Iā€™m rsyncing across a tunnel, Iā€™ll take every bit of efficiency and stability I can get, and having a mounted deep-linked directory from Home B ROCK USB storage on NAS in Home A always seems a bit fragile and possibly inefficient.

Hereā€™s the feature request I could findā€¦ Iā€™m the only vote currently!

2 Likes

21 posts were merged into an existing topic: ROCK on NUC - SMB1 sharing a security risk?

I came across this post again when I was looking into HDMI CEC on Roon. Obviously some of the big items on the list are already done but will there:

A) ever be a Roon OS 2.0?
B) ever be an implementation of CEC on Roon- OS?

Interested why you have formed this opinion? A NUC is just a computer. A Sonos is just a computer. A Marantz is just a computer. So is a Naim. Everything is just a computer. As long as it is mechanically silent then it is no different or inferior as an audio component. The bitstream from its HDMI port or a USB DAC is not going to be ā€œcontaminatedā€ by any other part of it. If it can send an uncontaminated bitstream to your end device over the network as a server it can send one out of a physical port also.

2 Likes

For me Roon OS 2.0

Implement a frame buffer for HDMI on Nucleus and NUC. For now just a Roon logo in 720p with IP details would be better than the text screen which just doesnā€™t look very ā€œproā€ for a Ā£1000+ device. Even my Sonos Beam outputs a pretty picture. In time it could be used for Now Playing or status page or whatever. Personally I vote for Now Playing.

HDMI-CEC volume control would be very nice but I appreciate only a few hardware variants support it.

Sandboxed extensions installable on the Nucleus/ROCK without having to use another computer to run them. Presumably done in such a way (virtual machine - Docker etc) that a crashing extension wonā€™t bring down the core OS.

2 Likes