What's coming in Roon OS 2.0 (not Roon 2.0, but Roon OS 2.0)?

This can be interpreted in a few different ways.
Are you saying the option to install and run on machinery other than supported NUCs will be removed or that you, like previously, won’t support other hardware?

I love the ROCK experience and want to keep it, but i don’t like the NUCs hardware. Not powerful enough, not supporting bigger storage space, difficult and expensive to convert into fanless etc.

With UEFI-support the ROCK experience would be open to a lot more choices in hardware though.

1 Like

What extensions do you have in mind?

UI on Chromecast.

My view … install and customise Linux if you want these things. RoonOS and ROCK should stay simple and behave like an appliance.

If some of these things were extensions and can be readily disabled that’d be okay

10 Likes

I assume that @danny is referring to making Roon OS 2.0 being able to host the Community-sourced Extensions. At the moment, hosting extensions is not part of Roon OS 1.0

2 Likes

I’d like the hosting of extensions. Basic hardware monitoring of key metrics as a set of traffic lights would be good.

2 Likes

I would like to have the option for Extensions in my ROCK.
(I recently discovered, that they are currently not supported.)

I’m not sure I understand. Is this not already the case? ROCK is downloadable as a disk image.

1. SQ improvements - there are options on the market that still sound better than Roon in some cases (e.g., Euphony, AudioLinux, dCS Mosaic). I don’t know what they are doing but I’ve done some A:B testing and the differences are not hard to hear.

2. Extensions - I’m not sure what is meant but I would love to have an API or something that makes it easy to tie Roon into a home automation platform so I can control lights, shades, and music with a button push

2 Likes

There is already a Forum category for the Roon API:

And the API is already being used in the Community for Extensions and Home Automation…

A better security would be great. Anyone within the LAN can access logs and the full music collections attached to the Rock. Can be solve with firewall yet I believe security should be built in, like for any iot devices.

5 Likes

The main thing I’d like is the ability to pair bluetooth speakers and headphones to the Rock server and then use them as end-points. Right now, you have to pair to a Roon end-point, of course.

However, the most important thing to me BY FAR is that Rock/Roon OS remain stable. My server never crashes and only gets rebooted for software updates. It is pretty much set it and forget it. I’d hate to lose that.

3 Likes

Accessing the internal Storage via Finder in macOS takes Minutes until I see the subfolders. As I sync from iTunes to the NUC I’ve more then 1500 folders (one for every artist). Well, maybe it’s an macOS Issue. I don’t know if NFS or SMBv3 will improve that.

Yes, auto-sleep and also auto-shutdown. This can be useful when I leave my home for a week and forgot to turn the NUC off. If I don’t use it for 2 days it can shutdown.

Well the latencies doesn’t matter that much. For example I want to stream Podcasts form the iPhone to my AMP. And even when I play a movie via Safari AirPlay should automatically delay the video to sync it with the audio.

Bluetooth is useful if Android friends are in the house and want to play their music thorugh my AMP.

1 Like

Can you suggest a slick distribution which I can update headless from the browser? I don’t want to buy a display just for regulary updating an OS.

Most important missing function in RoonOS is password security.
I don’t know how many Roon developers have teenage kids in their household but believe me, nomatter how many times you tell them not to mess around with your Roon core sooner or later they will. The teenage son of a friend deleted all of his dad’s music because he was angry he wasn’t allowed to go to a party during the Covid lockdown. A simple password protection would have been enough to avoid this.

10 Likes

Music files backup option to nas or connected HDD

3 Likes

Use a minimal Ubuntu LTS or similar distribution and run Cockpit. Or get used to SSH and configure unattended-upgrades and/ or apticron for auto-update and notifications.

can every NAS not do this already?

3 Likes

I would like to see the possibilty to point the watched folders to subfolders instead of only the Root of the internal storage. Even one level down would be great. It’s the easiest way of turning of an entire section of your library, for example christmas music in june.

2 Likes

If anything on the HDMI output please make it an alternative now playing screen with a font big enough to be readable from 3 meter distance. We allready have enough possibilites to setup unreadable now playing screens.

1 Like