Whats happened to Roon Radio now?

Thanks, what version was this added in?

Hmmm. Way back in 1.3ish, maybe earlier.

1 Like

It doesn’t really work well with local music as it was designed with streaming in mind. It’s more a less a poor shuffle without streaming.

I agree with @DDPS on this, its shuffle with brains and I like it. i cancelled Tidal nearly 2 years ago and I don’t miss it and I save $$$.

1 Like

Go to Queue then … at the bottom right gives the option of restricting it to local libraries (not streaming)

Yes, but if you look closely, you will figure that you will always end up with the exact same songs in Roon Radio when you play the same album. That’s a problem that a lot of us have (but not all). I was told that they try to fix it, but it seems hard to do so because the problem is years old now.

4 Likes

That is not the case for me. For instance, I just played “Echo & The Bunnymen” again, and the songs that followed were not among the songs in my screenshot above. These were, this time:

“My Kingdom” by Echo & The Bunnymen
“Untitled” by The Cure
“Feed Me” by Wire
“Working on a Building” by Cowboy Junkies
“Dodged a Bullet” by Kelley Stoltz
“Elephant Stone” by The Stone Roses

…etc.

2 Likes

This is not my experience at all. All I have is a local library, and it works wonderfully.

I have always found Roon Radio to work brilliantly, actually better for me than Tidal does.
Although today, for the first time ever, I did get a ‘nothing similar to play’ message.
First time ever. Maybe just coincidental?

2 Likes

That option does not appear if you do not have any streaming services.

Makes Sense

That is not the point. Roon Radio is not working for streaming but it should. It’s broken.

1 Like

Roon Radio for streaming is broken. Always says “Nothing similar to play…”. I didn’t touch a thing in ANY settings. Have 2.0 build 1311.

Roon Radio has become a complete joke. I cant believe some of the choices it makes. What algorithm?

I used to find so much good new stuff through it. Now…!!!

3 Likes

That’s going to depend a lot on how well differentiated the local library is, the metadata that came along with it and that inferred from identifying the albums.

Personally, when I let it start the Radio it seems to basically follow the mood of the previous plays, occasionally it surprises me but I like surprises.

1 Like

Me too! That is my favorite part.

Well today it was roger waters to Pink Floyd (wow I never heard of them) then David Gilmour :joy:

Then Nora Jones, Nora bloody Jones, L O and indeed L

Since I dropped Tidal as a streaming service and now only have Qobuz, the song choice is quite different to when I had both services - for Pink Floyd radio at least. This alone would suggest a problem with the radio algorithm. Now it plays a lot of Beatles, Queen and Elton John!

What’s worse is that it plays songs that those artists collaborated on - Don’t Let Sun Go Down/George Michael & Elton John, The Girl is Mine/Michael Jackson & Paul McCartney. It’s awful.

And don’t get me started on how it links completely unrelated styles and moods of electronic music together…

Come on Roon, sort it out please.

1 Like

I was using Roon Radio via ARC while doing a long distance drive this weekend, and I developed one thought:

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have a fairly meticulous metadata strategy, where each of my tracks has a researched/validated year associated with it, even if it’s in a greatest hits compilation. I also have genres meticulously applied. The metadata of these fields in streaming services is a disaster in comparison (it is one of many reasons I prefer having my own collection, with 100% control). I wonder if that has something to do with my relative happiness with Roon Radio in my local-only collection?

Heres what I got post waters again:
great gig roger waters versions
no way - david gilmour
tragedy - norah jones!
a groovy kind of love - phil collins
wade in the water - Iva Cassidy (what?)
dont give up - gabrial/bush
dark side - yello
material girl - maddona
nobodys perfect - sheryl crow
face it alone - queen
id rather go blind - beth hart
fletcher mamorial - pink floyd
dzisiaj teraz tu - moskwa
speak to me - roger waters
the girle in the yellow dress - david gilmour
all a dream - norah jones
ballard of bill hubbard - roger waters
high hopes - pink floyd
theres no way out - david gilmour
dont give up (again) gabrial/bush

Starts out completely unrelated, mostly female artists, then just gives up and plays waters and pink floyd over and over.

Roon stop messing around with Arc a solution to a problem 6 people had, and actually fix a key part of your offer. Thanks!

5 Likes