Whats happened to Roon Radio now?

“Nothing similar …” I have Qobuz and Tidal configured and “nothing similar” for anything?! This has been going on for a few weeks and there have been other posts. Do the Roon engineers even read, care?

Well even when it plays stuff its nothing similar lol.

Funny but frustrating since my Roon Radio doesn’t play a damn thing from my streaming services. HELLO ROON ENGINEERS!

Hey @Robert_Krupka, sorry to hear that you’re having issues with Roon Radio. It may be helpful to provide the support team/QA with some additional info so they can follow up… like posting an issue report in Support with the specific artists, genres, etc, you tried to start radio from when you saw these error messages.

Also, a little courtesy goes a long way. We understand that the problem you’re having is frustrating - but shouting at people isn’t that effective when you’re asking for help.

3 Likes

I would hold back on further messages like this. Not appropriate.

Your last support post ended with this.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-radio-not-working/254465/4?u=menzies

I’m in Marketing, friendo, not Support. Just trying to be of assistance…

Otherwise, the Community Guidelines may be of interest to you, if you’d like to continue posting here.

1 Like

I wonder what this has to do with Frankie Valli? I’ve never played this or anything like it. Also, my Roon preferred language is set on English only. Not that I have anything against any other language, mind you. Roon Radio usually works well for me except that it plays the same music over and over.

EDIT: How can I stop getting Asian music? I don’t like Asian music and I don’t want it. It’s now started creeping into Roon Daily Mixes. All since, KKBOX has been added. I don’t use KKBOX.

This just showed up as part of an Eagles Roon Daily Mix.

Why is this happening. This is a Roon daily playlist…

1 Like

After playing the excellent new single ‘Smother’ by unpeople, Roon Radio selected two appropriate tracks then lost it completely:

Today I started with the same seed and it went straight to another George Formby track.

I have to agree that the radio function is close to useless and has no feeling for making a nice list. Another thing that bothers me even more is that if I use the thumbs down for songs it just keeps playing new songs from the same artist. Even though giving thumbs down for all songs played by that artist Roon just keeps playing.

6 Likes

+1 on Roon Radio being junk at the moment.
On Arc in the car earlier King Crimson ended and roon radio lined up this

Never heard of them but apparently fans of Isa Zwart will like carbon based lifeforms and king tubby. I like both of them and Isa Zwart they are not. Roons attempt at an algorithm is beyond a joke at this point.

2 Likes

I agree with you the weird thing is that on ARC is totally not working its playing only the same artist :frowning:

That can’t be true. “Radio” was a feature before streaming services through Roon became a thing (the biggest thing now, apparently). As a mostly classical listener, I like that “Radio” respects multi-movement works (at least it used to) which shuffle definitely does not.

Roon Radio was designed for Discovery and integrate with Streaming services its not like other app, it works but not as well with a local library as you cant discover new material with a local library it tends to get a bit stale quickly, this has been said many times by staff at Roon. That said Radio in general currently is not working well.

1 Like

I guess that depends on your purpose. If you view “Radio” as primarily a tool for discovering new music then you’re right. A local library is, almost by definition, already discovered–even if there’s stuff you haven’t heard in years, or forgot you had. But if you just want background music for puttering around the kitchen, etc., I would far rather listen to something that tries to make associations, like a good radio programmer, and especially something that respects albums or larger works. Classical music radio today has devolved largely into playing a movement from this, a movement from that, especially during drive time, to my great annoyance. I prefer to discover music on my own rather than through an algorithm someone throws at me. The few times I have used “Radio”, I have been interested, rather than annoyed, with what it comes up with. If I don’t like it I put something else on. I don’t want something picking my brain and trying to come up with exactly what I might want to hear at a given moment.

I would think that would be the point.

I’m also frustrated with Roon Radio lately. I’m using ARC and the radio will always be based on a track (actually, in ARC you can’t initiate a radio based on an artist as it only plays tracks from that artist, same as “play now”. But that’s a different issue).
The first problem is that it picks the most obvious, most popular and well known tracks. And the second problem is that it just repeats the same artists and tracks all the time.
I also have another issue with ARC that’s related. Let’s say I start a radio from track A, and after a while reach some track, B, and then stop listening for a while. When I go back to ARC and start playing, the Radio will now be based off the seed track B. It forgets it was playing a radio of A and starts a radio from the current track (in ARC you can’t tell the seed from which Roon Radio is generated, would be nice to add it at some point). Inevitably it will now play some of the same tracks it played the last time. And so I find myself stuck in a limbo of the same kind of songs for days unless I do something.

2 Likes

My mileage varies…

I use Roon most of the time (usually to play albums and go down music/artist rabbit holes), but I will be honest, if I’m not looking for lossless fidelity (I think it’s 192k mp3), and I just want to have a variety of music play, I use Pandora.

I’ve found they have the best seed algorithm (for me anyway). Select numerous artists/albums, whatever, then they allow you to customize the station however you want. Deep tracks, popular hits, discover other artists. It’s brilliant.

3 Likes

Agreed that Pandora is the gold standard here, although via a much publicized (and researched) proprietary algorithm. That said, the ability to better “train” the Roon algorithm would be a good start. The current model of only being able to give thumbs up or down to one queued song at a time is nearly worthless–especially if you’ve never heard it before! At least let us fine tune the accuracy during, or after playing it.

6 Likes

When Roon Radio is active, is it 100% Roon algorithm that picks the tracks, or does Qobuz or Tidals algo come into play?