What's your favorite Roon Remote device..and why?

I use my Android Fire tablet, the 8", dedicated as a Roon control, most. Sometimes my Android phone, or my iPad. Sometimes my Windows laptop. Whatever’s handy.

1 Like

7th gen iPad. :+1:

I do keep meaning to try a Fire tablet, just got to get my act together and actually buy one…lol

I use a combination of iPad 5th generation and an Android phone. I use the iPad the curate, edit and browse for new music/albums. Once found and played, I use the phone to control.

For know music or recently played music, I use the phone. Less distraction.

1 Like

I have an iPad which is a nice size, but most of the time I reach from my iPhone. It’s smaller, more convenient and always at hand. The best Roon client is the app on the Mac - this is what I use when I’m listening while working.

1 Like
  1. iPhone 12 Pro
  2. MacBook Air 13 M2
  3. iPad Air M1
  4. Windows 11 desktop

In roughly that order. Phone always in my pocket so 85%. Mac always nearby for work. Sometimes other stuff. Kind of love having different devices for different reasons and having them all work.

1 Like

I have an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S22), which I have used on a rare occasion as a Roon remote.

Usually, I control Roon from a MacBook Pro (16"). An iPhone is way too small. Sometimes I use the TV:Remote extension to control Roon via an Apple TV and its remote control. That gives a nice big display of what’s playing, along with playback controls. It’d be nice if the IR remote for my streaming DAC were completely Roon-ready, so it could control play/pause and previous/next tracking.

iPad mini 8" (Lounge) … for its User Interface and ease of use!
Lenovo Tablet 8" (Bedroom/other zones) … Price/value
MS Surface Go 10" (office) … the GO is not used much these days, so remote duties called!

Maybe 10" is the right size screen ?!?!?

I am OK with my iPad mini4, a little small, as my standard iPad is full. I will get a new one after the first of the year with much more memory and maybe a larger screen.

Speaking of screens: I have my core on a MacMini. Along with my 5.1 playback through a Yamaha receiver, it gives me a big screen (65") look at my setup, etc. I use wireless keyboard and tracking when I am in my music room.

Nah !!! 12.9 Go Big :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

@AceRimmer you’ll be pleased to hear that I use my Android phone for my “serious listening”. For me this is at my headphone station. The phone fits neatly next to me on the sofa! I use my Windows PC for metadata editing etc.

1 Like

My hero😁

Editing is a separate function to just controlling and the selection of music IMHO and I try not to mix the two anyway so another reason the phone as main remote suits me very well.

1 Like

I hear ya on the Mrs not being there!

1 Like

Roon running on a Windows 10 PC.
At home i listen with earphones connected to iFi ZEN DAC v2 connected via USB to an iFi Streamer.
Away from home i’m using Roon ARC on my Huawei P40 PRO+ running on EMUI 12 (based on Android 10) and my earphones are connected to an iFi Go Bar DAC. Unfortunately i can’t use the best of the DAC capabilities because Roon ARC doesn’t “talk” to the DAC directly. I hope a future version of Roon ARC can have this feature added.

I use mostly my android tablet.
Its a samsung S7+ 12,4
Roon looks very good on it

1 Like

They say: the best camera is the one you have on you. This is similar. The best remote is the one within reach. I work from home, so my laptop gets used the most, but if I am around the house, it’s one of the tablets, or my mobile phone. Obviously I prefer my computer (and the huge monitor) for relatively more complex stuff (tagging comes to mind), but I can easily use my phone to play, select zones, etc. All works consistently well, which is why I am a Roon lover :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fanless Windows PC with a wireless mouse connected to my 73" TV. I can see and read everything clearly from my listening chair and can easily navigate thru Roon with the wireless mouse. I also have a wireless keyboard laying on my ottoman in case I need to type an artist, album or track name into the Roon search field. It works great!

1 Like

OK, now that this has had a few days I can share “bigger is better” link
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/business/surface-hub-2

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Amazon Fire HD 10+ and 8+ tablets. Inexpensive, as in a 1/5th the cost of one of the less expensive iPads, and the Roon Remote app is available in the Amazon app store.

The Roon Remote app on the Fire tablet has the exact same functionality and features as the Roon Remote app on the iPad. Yes I also have a 2021 iPad Air and I did a direct comparison of the Roon remote app on each device.

I also use the Fire tablet as a “now playing” display.