When playing music from Roon, Audio stops randomly when sending to AppleTV via Airplay

Roon Controller is on a Windows 10, Intel i7 NUC device.

Did a Google Search, but didn’t see anything that seemed related to this issue.

Got any ideas on why the playback stops randomly?

If the sending to the Apple TV is over WiFi, then I’d say that would be the first place I’d investigate. Especially if you have an Apple Router in the network.

What specifically would you look for as an indicator of a problem? What tools would you use to investigate this?

Hi @James_Henson,

Is the Apple TV the only zone which exhibits this behavior? Does “System Output” on the PC work as expected all the time (PC’s speakers)? Is there any change in behavior if you temporarily connect the Apple TV via Ethernet instead of WiFi?

The AppleTV is the only device that exhibits this behavior. System Output (PC Speakers) do not existing this same behavior. It is connected via Wifi, as the device is too far away from the Roon Controller for a physical connection. Interestingly enough, it only started this behavior with the last few weeks. Prior to that, I did not have this issue. I’ve restarted the AppleTV to see if this stops the behavior for a while.

Hi @James_Henson,

Do let me know if the reboot of the Apple TV helps. I would also be interested to know if this issue is media format related or sample rate related, if you see it occur again, can you please note the sample/bit/format of the track playing in case there is a pattern in that regard?

Tidal AAC 44.1Khz 24bit 2ch
24bit to 16bit conversion
AppleTV (AirPlay streaming)
Overall Low Quality path

Hi @James_Henson,

I was more-so inquiring if this happens in between track changes or what the format of the previous track was compared to the upcoming one. Do you only notice this for AAC files? When switching between AAC and FLAC? 44.1 kHz -> 48? ect.

It happen mid-track, not between tracks, so I doubt that it’s related to changing formats. So far, after restarting the AppleTV it’s been more stable. We’ll see if this continues today, or if it goes back to its bad behavior.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan @James_Henson. I would also note any error messages Roon displays if this issue occurs again.

Roon displays no error message that I’ve seen. Is there an error log that I can review?

What I’ve observed so far is that the sound stops, but Roon still thinks it’s playing for a few seconds, then Roon stops.

Hi @James_Henson,

Can you please reproduce this issue, note the exact local time + date when it next occurs and then send me a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions? The best way to get them over would be via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive link but if you don’t have either service just let me know and I can provide alternate upload instructions.

The issue happened again this morning. I was playing a recording via AirPlay, and the recording just stopped.

Here’s a link to the zipped log directory: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArynUNhdFyTwg8cxEdeVtYigFmMcbw?e=w3YEMY

Hi @James_Henson,

Thanks for sending those logs over, I’m looking through them and I notice that you had a networking issue around 9AM.

Can you please provide some more information regarding your network setup?

• What is the model/manufacturer of your router, any switches, access points, etc?
  • How is the Core connected to the network, is it connected via Ethernet or WiFi?

Also, is your Apple TV up-to-date on latest firmware?

Comcast internet connection via Arris SB8200 Cable Modem. Asus AC1900 DualBand Wireless Router. Both the desktop PC and the Apple TV are connected to the 5G Wifi hosted by the ASUS. I can change the desktop PC to plug in directly via ethernet cable to the ASUS if needed, but that’s NOT what’s in place now.

Sorry for the delayed response. I was away from the house for a while.

Hi @James_Henson,

Thanks for the additional info.

Can you confirm you have the latest firmware updates on your router? Perhaps there’s been some recent improvements in the firmware.

Yes, please do verify this aspect as well, as sometimes WiFi is susceptible to interference from other devices or the WiFi channels are too congested for your area.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.