When will KEF LS50 Wireless II be Roon Ready? [They are now!]

Main downside of using Airplay is in my experience the unpredictable (but usually deafening) volume level that you get if you use Airplay to switch on the WIIs. It’s not an issue if the speakers are already on. (I have the same problem with 1st gen Naim Musos, by the way.) I’ve not listened that much on Airplay so can’t really comment on the SQ.

SQ on chromecast seems fine to me. The big downside of chromecast is that gapless playback does not work, or does not work reliably, which is a major problem if you listen to a lot of opera or live recordings and is the main reason I am waiting until Roon Readiness is confirmed before buying.

1 Like

So, got my W2s today. Using them via AirPlay, which is of course less than ideal. I wonder, can I make Roon detect them as a Chromecast device? Does not show up in the settings so far, unlike the AirPlay option.

Have you set up the Chromecast via the Google home App? It needs to be on your Wi-Fi before it shows up (based on my experience)
Then it should in your Settings-Audio

1 Like

You will need to get Google Home installed and set it up. After that you’ll be able to find it in Roon.

1 Like

Thanks so much! That did the trick. 96/24 is fine by me and I can’t be bothered by the lack of gapless for the time being. Enjoying the speakers a lot so far, will be even greater to get the full roon ready treatment.

2 Likes

Audio through Google Cast is quite ok, I must admit.

2 Likes

Greetings,
In process of moving and considering these speakers for the upstairs sound system as layout of new living room prob wont work with my Vandersteen surround set up…will use/mix with my Zu/B&W “man cave” home theater system…or just sell off the Vandy’s. Currently use an oppo 205 for its usb dac upstairs, 203 downstairs as have alot of DSD files. The Kef page says these support DSD 256…how? Via wifi? Ethernet? Its HDMI input? Would be nice to have a cleaner setup for living room with only the Kef’s and their stands…but was wondering how to keep the DSD goodness going? Currently all files on Sonictransporter i9.
Thanks
Doug

Greetings Douglasmaurer,
I recently had cause to ask KEF much the same thing. Apparently, DSD is only supported via ethernet and not coaxial or optical connects. I tried to hook up a Topping D10s as a front to the KEFs and wondered why they wouldn’t play my DSD library. Originally, I thought it might have been a shortcoming of the Topping DAC, but it’s actually the speakers…

Thanks, Austar. I figured as much…not sure of the wiring in the house, but I bet there is no ethernet cable up there since the comcast apparently comes into the home near the downstairs office. May have to see if I can get some cable run to the location of the primary speaker…
D

It’s the network source, not just ethernet, so WiFi would also suffice (assuming local network environment is a-ok).

It’s been temporarily suspended due to an issue with a small percentage of units. The team has identified and is working on a fix.

1 Like

Ok great to hear that you can do DSD over wifi…the new house will have that xfinity gigabit wifi so fingers crossed that it will do the trick!

Maybe this gives some clarity for you and future questions from others.

4 Likes

So, I had an official response from KEF as well and it looks like they are allowed to share this. Looking forward to this.

“We are finalising the requirements to enable streaming to LS50 Wireless II with Roon. We expect this to be completed at the very latest by the end of April, but are working hard to have this finalised sooner. Once completed, it will be made available via firmware update.”

2 Likes

Shame on me for assuming KEF completed the certification. Shame on them for not making that more clear in their marketing. I just got my ls50w II yesterday, and I am ready to return them.

2 Likes

On their website it says “ROON Ready (Coming Soon)”. How is this unclear?

Why would you need an official response from KEF? :slight_smile: @Ben_Hagens represents KEF and already informed us in this thread a week ago.

Understood, but maybe short-sighted?

It mentioned “coming soon” for many months already.

Yeah sure, and that’s very nice of him. However, did it occur to you that I might have sent that question out before he mentioned it?

I simply shared it because there’s an obvious change of wind regarding information output from KEF.