When will KEF LS50 Wireless II be Roon Ready? [They are now!]

Roon Ready or not shouldn’t make the speaker completely infunctional under Roon. W1 was not Roon Ready but Roon Tested. It is able to function under Roon. Why should the newer version of W2 be so useless? Roon Ready (coming soon) should not make the speaker completely dead under Roon!! @Alvin_Chan1 , I have both W1 and W2 and is fuming on W2… My temporary solution is using a dCS Network Bridge (SPDIF output) to W2 to run Roon.

Roon Testes - now that really is amazing functionality!

1 Like

It isn’t ‘completely dead’ under Roon. W2 can, in the meantime, be used in Roon via AirPlay 2 and Chromecast. If you’re an Apple user, to get Chromecast working, you’ll need to download the Google Home app and add LS50WII to it (this is a Google requirement, as you need to accept their Ts & Cs).

The reason why W2 is not Roon Tested like W1 is because W2 is a completely different platform, all the way down to the hardware. It’s not a simple ‘copy and paste’ job for the work both KEF and Roon carried out for W1 to get that product Roon Tested.

2 Likes

Thank you, Ben, for the possibility usages of the W2 with Roon. I am aware of the AirPlay 2 and the Chromcast and using them is “sort of” a step backwards. Those functions have their limitations and I don’t buy Roon and W2 to use these functions. I still have the W1 connected via Ethernet cable and nothing else. Knowing the W2 ditched the USB connection (which never a big fan) and favorite the HDMI, Ethernet and SPDIF. I was really happy to see KEF was on right track thinking as me. The whole purpose, for me, of buying the W2 were the Meta and MQA (updated internal DAC); not AirPlay 2, Bluetooth or other less than optimum inputs. Sure without Roon the Kef connect App is well made compare to the W1’s app. And it sounds wonderful. Unfortunately I just have too many albums (over 4000CDs and some high res files) on my Nucleus+ and accessing Tidal and Qobuz from the Kef connect is just not able to replace the user experience as Roon.

Prior buying the W2, I was considering Dutch & Dutch 8C. But what made me turned my head was the fact that they ran into bigger issues than they anticipated on getting this Roon Ready Certificate. You don’t see them talk about Roon Ready (coming soon) on their website as before though they will keep working on getting it just without any time frame restriction. I took a leap of faith on buying W2 based on the prior W1 but knowing that it, too, could run into same problem as 8C. This is the new platform you were talking about…(perhaps not the same as the 8C). I hope you guys will iron out the issues soon. The solution for the 8C to run on Roon was like mine using a network bridge from a dealer suggestion…

Ben, I enjoy your subwoofer views, elsewhere, and I am still listing to both W1 and W2 with two old Kef R400b subs (will most likely upgrade to two KC62s). I am just a little disappointed on W2 not able to “set up” with Roon. Not to a point that I no longer like Kef. No, far from it. For the price and performance W2 is very hard to beat. I Know (I could be wrong on this) that I can enjoy MQA contents via my dCS Network Bridge (Coax or SPDIF) with W2 using Roon. For now, it is what it is and I am still waiting for “the” update. Thank for your time Ben. Much appreciated.

Those R400s are excellent subs, but we’ve certainly upped the game with KF92 and KC62. There’s some funky sub updates for KEF Connect coming in the not-too-distant future.

I understand what you’re saying in regards to ‘backwards step’ - hence my mention of ‘in the meantime’ with AirPlay and Chromecast. So you can still use the Roon interface, and then general control of LS50WII in Roon becomes a nice, seamless switch (albeit with higher resolution and RAAT, obviously) when we get switched on by Roon.

1 Like

Thank you very much, Ben, for the update. I am looking forward to see this funky sub updates. Sounds neat!! And your suggestions on the KF92 and KC62 is on my next to buy list. The little one is more cost effective in term of the specs but I always like the bigger footprint subs. Who knows…I might have 6 subs running…LOL!!

Again, thank you Ben for your help and time.

Purchased a Raspberry 4 w/8 gig ram and HiFi Berry Digi+pro hat from

Using RoPieee s/w and SpIDF connect to KEF LS50 Wireless II

Works great for those want to move forward with Roon

Slowly the KEF Connect app is getting better in my opinion. There’s now the ability to see the bitrate of what one listens.

Was hoping for the promised Dark Mode in this latest app update but I guess I’ll have to be patient some more - a common theme in this thread!

Yeah, but still it’s nice to see progress. Can’t wait to get everything internal.

6 Likes

So – weird thing happened today. I restarted my WiFi and all of a sudden, Roon does not find the W2 in their chromecast incarnation. The Airplay option is still there, also the Roon-ready-not-yet-available option. But not the chromecast. I does show up in the google home app though. Did anyone experience this before?

Dear 909,

Maybe you can move your question to a suitable topic. This topic is for “Roon Readiness of the KEF LS50W 2’s”.
Thanks!

René

2 Likes

You’re probably right. The thing is: If the W2 were Roon ready, I would not have this problem. Chromecast is a workaround. And I got help here before, so I though I’d run this question in this thread.

Edit: I got it. Restarting everything helped. Now even more eager to have this thing roon ready.

What are the workarounds to get Roon on my Wireless II Kefs?

1 Like

As far as I know, the easiest workaround with the highest quality is using Chromecast. You’ll have to set up the WIIs in the Google Home app, but it’s a pretty simple process. Another easy option is Airplay, but lower quality. Other than that you’d need more hardware, eg another DAC/streamer.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: KEF LS50 HDMI input for sound from my TV and find I am constantly turning up the volume to hear dailogue

@David_Link is correct here. AirPlay and Chromecast are the two workaround methods that are inbuilt and don’t require additional hardware (RPI etc). The additional caveat is that you can only multiform with like-for-like - so group only with other AirPlay or Chromecast devices. Obviously this is until the Roon Ready certification is sorted.

EXPECTED in APRIL

Eenvoudig meerkamersysteem

Wanneer u LS50 Wireless II met Airplay2, Chromecast of Roon gebruikt, kunt u tegelijkertijd naar meerdere luidsprekers in verschillende kamer streamen. Dus door meerdere LS50 Wireless II-luidsprekers te gebruiken, heeft u een eenvoudig en hoogwaardig meerkamersysteem.

*Verwacht in april

New firmware is out ( 1.5) but sadly no roon ready, hoping for a 1.6 in April!