When will Mytek Brooklyn Bridge Roon II be Certified?

Roon Core Machine

Newly released Brooklyn Bridge II Roon (BBII Roon)
Mytek operating system V 1.0.5

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Hardwired from Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Router to Netgear GS108E switch to Fibershop media Converter (copper to optical and back to copper) to BBII Roon

Connected Audio Devices

Chromecast to HiFi system and
Headphone out from BBII Roon

Number of Tracks in Library

Less than 1000, Stream mostly

Description of Issue

Hi,
It appears that Roon has not yet certified the Brooklyn Bridge II Roon.
I have just received this unit and was greeted with the following message- see attached image, when trying to register it under the “Audio” tab of Roon’s settings. I was successful in registering it under the “Extensions” tab.

I have contacted Mytek and they advise that they are liaising with Roon to have the certification finalised.

Can you provide some time frame of when this may happen - whether we are looking at days, weeks or months???

The latest I have from Mytek is that his may happen this Month some time.

Any information would be welcome

Regards
Giuseppi Commisso

Roon never comment. Mytek statement is the best you will get.

1 Like

I know it is easy to say but patience is the byword. I waited 12 months for a device to make certification and the problem wasn’t Roon. The process normally involves some to and fro until the manufacturer meets the requirements so timelines from the manufacturer have limited value. But Mytek are a clever bunch so unless they have hardware limitations it shouldn’t be too long.

…but the BB2 has its own Roon core…So, I’m wondering why this is not certified already…

Congratulations to your BB2. Seems you are the first on earth getting his hands on the unit. Can you tell us a bit more about built-quality and sonic performance?

1 Like

Perhaps because the product page talks about both Roon OS and Mytek OS, so it’s not as straightforward as might be assumed…

The product page states. Quote “Brooklyn Bridge 2 is all in-one Roon Core Streamer” and “The Brooklyn Bridge II now officially has a built in Roon Core”.

Thanks to all for your comments.
Yes I can confirm that the BBIIRoon does contain a core. In the “Extensions” tab of the roon app ( on my mobile device) the BBII is Authorised. Also if the BBII is switched off when I use the app, I get a messager- Cant find the core. When BBII is turned on, Roon app then progresses and I can see my music stored on my PC and in my Tidal account. My play device is a Sony surround DVD player via chromecast (yes not really HIFI but my critical listening is via Verum headphones connected to the BBII in a balanced configuration.)
Since certification is not in place yet, I can not enable the BBII under the “audio” tab and therefore appear to have limited functionality of the data handled by roon. Fortunately the audio signal is processed and I can hear music via the BBII but the meta data information does not appear to be processed correctly. This is not an issue as all data is displayed on the portable device via the roon app.

As for build quality it is a very sturdy brick, nicely finished from all angles with quality connections and push button on switch/ stepped volume rotor, that has a silky movement.

The sound is: musical, clean and clear. My Sony DV player with 2.1 speaker configuration has never sounded this good or produce such nice base . I’m almost finished burning the BBII in and will soon start critical listening with headphones. So far I’m very pleased with the soundstage depth and width. The Verum are exceptionally good headphones when it comes to wide airy presentation to music. You can choose to focus in on an instrument if you like so they appear to be a good match for the detail that the BBII can deliver.
cheers

1 Like

Indeed, but it also states:

and

So it’s not just a vanilla Roon OS…

We are both in one or the other way right;-)

So, in my words: if the BB2 is switched off, the on-board Roon core is not accessible?

Hi Geoff,
I was going to mention that the DAC and pre amp parts of the BBII are controlled by the the Mytek operating system but got carried away by the sound quality and forgot to add that. I’m still getting my head around the functionality of the device so this is my personal take so far and is a layman’s description. It appears that the input are split between: Roon, Pre Amp and Bluetooth. These are selected from the touch screen via the Mytek operating system. Roon appears to present the audio and meta data to the BBII to process and display. The Mytek OS then allows for preference settings and filters for the DAC, which appear to be different to the array of settings that Roon system provide. Then when you select the Pre amp function, the Mytek OS moves you away from the Roon source and you can choose alternate source inputs such as phono, USB, Toslink etc. or connection via bluetooth. Each of these have setting options controlled by the Mytek OS
Then there are General setting such as: network, settings, update etc all done via the Mytek OS.

So it appears that Roon runs beside the Mytek OS and that some sharing may occur as display screen is shared and signal is switched to preamp / volume control and line out / headphone / Ethernet. Then of course the BBII has a 2TB hard drive so file management is also involved. So yes a complex system.

Final note, I know of al least one other person who received a BBII before me and a couple of people saying that they have been contacted to say that they will be receiving shortly according from their posts on the facebook sites and messenger feed that relate to Mytek users.
Cheers

That is correct.

…uups: Then it is not clear to me, why I would need a dedicated Roon core in a BB2. My understanding now is: The BB2 has to be always on to serve as a Roon core for other devices, right?

Yes, it’s designed for those that want a core and endpoint/DAC in one system. If you don’t want the core functionality then the BB2 is not really for you as your paying for an unwanted feature.

1 Like

Did you enable the mytech Roon extension as per the instructions and it still doesn’t show up as Roon Ready Zone? Seems odd that they would ship it without its ability to act as a Roon zone given it’s making such a song and dance about it having a core. I wonder if someone forgot to toggle the switch happened before.

Looks to be using a nuc board like Grimm MU1 does for core duties.

…hmm: and how can I use ARC (while being abroad) as long as the BB2 is switched off?

Assuming there is no separate power-supply for the Core board, I have some doubts about the architecture, because: why should one flood the DAC electronics with power while I just want to access the core functionality?

Can someone enlighten me.

Hi CrystalGipsy

It appears that Roon has not yet completed certification of the Brooklyn Bridge II as an audio device. Therefore I was unable to enable it under the “Audio” tab of Roon’s settings- hence the error message, which I included in my original post(scroll to the top). I was successful in registering the BBII under the “Extensions” tab.

Mytek have advised that they thought the registering process (as an Audio device) would have been completed weeks ago. They based the process in relation to the registration of the Empire which they completed mid to late last year. The two products: Empire and BBII, being similar in functionality lead Mytek to believe that processing times would also be similar. Unfortunately it was not. Hence the reason for this post- to see what time frame Roon believed would be required to complete the the registration.

Hi Stefan,
ARC wasn’t a consideration when I selected the BBII. Even if it was, I would still go down the BBII path, based on my personal starting point.

I left HiFI about 35 years ago. All that remained of my equipment was my turntable. So I needed to start from scratch, beginning with a phono preamp all the way to speakers or headphones. Pricing all equipment at mid tier would have cost me me a small fortune. Then the need for synergistic matching , interconnects etc.
Fortunately I discovered the BB. An all in one, mid tier product that dispensed with more than half of the typical inter connects required and resolved the synergy dilemma. The assumption being that Mytek was a company that strived at producing quality equipment and so would construct the BB as a bespoke piece, ensuring optimum matching of subsystems in addition to a quiet power supply. Then Roon core was introduced as a feature- the BB just ticked all the boxes.

I appreciate the comment that If I wanted to use ARC when I was away that the BBII would need to be left on. In my opinion the benefit of having a multi function tool, in a small form factor, out ways the cost of running the DAC and Preamp in addition to the CORE for the week or so that I may be away on Holiday or in my car on the way to work or at work. If I was to be on holiday for an extended period I’d either pack up my BBII and taKe it with me plus a set of headphones as its small enough to pack or I would take a very portable player and switch the BBII off. It really all depends on the situation and what other equipment you already have.

Cheers

Uhhh nooo, don’t get me wrong;-) My lines didn’t intended to criticize you. I’m happy for all the folks pre-ordered a BB2 (month, if not years ago) and finally receive a product now.

I was longtime with Mytek and still own a Brooklyn DAC+ as headphone amp. I like(d) their products. After waiting almost 2 years for the BB2, I gave up and went over to another brand. But this is not part of that thread. One of the announcements Mytek made in the last couple of months, was the integration of a Roon core. Like you, I was waiting for the release while being convinced, that the Roon core can be powered separately from the DAC.

Maybe @Michal_Jurewicz1 can chime in and give us more technical background?

If the Roon core can not be powered separately, then this might be a dealbreaker for folks like me.

Happy listening with your BB2.