Where is the folder location roon server keep the artist image?

Hi.

For your information, the image of artists are blank. I had changed the image for artists for more than one times, maybe like three times. Will the existing image all stored at roon server or it will deleted automatically when new image is set?

Thank you.

Hi @Choon_Chiat_Pua ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation with us. The feedback is very appreciated!

Moving forward, to help me properly evaluate this behavior may I very kindly ask you for the following:

1. A brief but accurate description of your current setup. The more details you can provide, the better.

2. Are you noticing this behavior with a group of artists in your collection OR are all of them? Can you please provide a screenshot highlighting this issue.

Thank you for the clarification!
-Eric

Hi.

Thank you for your reply. You misunderstood my question. I got a lot of artists from Hong Kong and they are unidentified by roon and I set the image for them. Will roon always keep the older image if I change to new image? I’m worried the database becomes largest.

We won’t overwrite the image you’ve set for a given artist, and you can always revert back to the image that’s currently available from our metadata service.

That said, you can only have one custom image for an artist at a given time.

Hi. Will roon delete all older image?

Do you mean images you have sourced and saved locally ? If so, Roon will not delete them if you prefer a Roon metadata image. The only time Roon alters your files is if you ask it to delete an Album from your local library.

Hi. I means the images for artist that I sourced and save locally.

Roon will not delete those.

Do you have any idea to clean up the library? Trim up the database.

Click this button in the Settings section…

This type of clean up doesn’t help me. i search all jpg from roon folder. it’s contain almost 500MB++ and a lots of my older images. how to clean it up?

You asked how to trim Roon’s database, and that’s what that button does.

Roon does not alter any of your media files in any way, so if you want to delete jpg files from your media file folders, you’re going to have to do it yourself.

The only delete option within Roon is for the audio files that make up the tracks and albums, and again, that is a manual option.

This is in the database? I would strongly recommend against touching or deleting anything in the database. It’s not designed to be modified in any way.

What are you concerned about here? Hard drive space?

Yes. Correct. I’m worried about Harddisk space.

When you import your music, Roon will attempt to automatically download an image for anyone it can identify, including artists, credited performers, composers, producers, etc. This is often thousands or tens of thousands of images, meaning a Roon database can easily exceed a gigabyte or two, and for large libraries the database can be 10gb or more.

Roon isn’t really designed to be lightweight – the design of Roon (and the Core) is always going to focus on delivering the richest possible experience and the best possible performance.

It’s almost certainly not worth your time to focus on a single image here or there – if you want to use Roon, giving up some hard drive space to power the experience is part of the deal.

1 Like

Hi Mike, I’m not sure the original question was really answered and I’m also curious. If I upload my own Artist Image (Devo_a.jpg) and then tomorrow I upload a different image for the same artist (Devo_b.jpg), is Devo_a.jpg overwritten by Devo_b.jpg?

@Rugby. All the image files will keep at the database.

Is there a way to export artist images? I’ve spent hours and hours searching, editing and adding thses and would like to have copies for backup and other purposes.

Try this: