Where the best place for a frank discussion about Roon?

Welcome to Roon

A few comments from a Classical user , many have been quoted above

Firstly do you know there is a monthly sub , after your 3 months. Most people try to get a grip in 14 days . Personally I chose the 1 year extended trial :joy:

Roon sources on line metadata from Tivo (AllMusic) or MusicBrainz , NOT Discogs despite being requested multiple times , and composition formats and composer formats reflect that. If you struggle IDing an Album check MusicBrainz. Fighting the structure and data used there is the way to grief.

Choosing Prefer File only works in a limited way, as you have found. Try checking ā€œmulti part groupingā€ AND Track Title.

Roon are pretty stubborn, there is a Roon Vision firmly embedded in the execs who drive the look and feel. They accept certain ideas but rarely change (or declare in detail) that vision. Eg donā€™t expect Composer bolted on your tracks , the metadata sources donā€™t and yes they will ignore your tag data on certain fields

Classical is where Roon is weakest primarily because classical 3rd party data is predominantly a mess.

Box sets are a specific issue but in V1.9 the Focus tool at album level was improved no end. There has often been request (by me and others) to develop the concept of the :ā€collection of discsā€ box set with individual name and artwork ā€” alas

My way around it was as @Jim_F Said was to accept it for what it is now and find your way around the quirks there are the proverbial ways of skinning the cat So far I have found nothing better.

Also think about NOT having to groom and correct all your tags. Think about the hours you spend , Iā€™ve done it :smiling_imp:

I have a small library of 120k tracks probably 70k classical . I am in year 6 after 5 years with JRiver. It can be done

The last thing to realise is that Roon development is often slow (the caveat is when something is broke itā€™s fixed PDQ) feature requests may never materialise if they donā€™t fit the Roon vision

Maybe seek opinions from the ā€œbig classical usersā€ how they have got around the quirks.

Relax and enjoy the music :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

PS Section is used to handle extra layers in Work/Part like Act in an Opera

2 Likes