Where To Start Troubleshooting - Unexpected Error Communicating with Audio Device

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Core on MS Surface 3 running WIN 10; Roon v1.6 (build 416) stable (32bit)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Music files on Buffalo NAS server (ethernet to router); Core on MS Surface via WiFi;

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

4 Sonos zones, 1 ConnectAmp, 3 Connects (to traditional stereos)

After years of happy use of Roon, system recently began displaying “Unexpected Error Communicating with Audio Device” when I try to run the system from Roon Windows app on separate Dell PC (or Roon Android app on cellphone) to the Sonos zones.

On both Roon WIN app on Dell PC, and Roon Android app on cellphone, I can see Core on MS Surface, and move between music files. I just can’t get Roon to play through the Sonos zones.

Previously I’ve had intermittent trouble with Sonos streaming maintaining hold of Sonos devices until I disconnected the zones in Sonos - then Roon could connect to Sonos devices and all went well. This time I can’t get Roon to connect with Sonos zones.

Where do you suggest I start troubleshooting between Roon and Sonos?

BTW, when its working (99% of the time) Roon is great and enables me to get much greater enjoyment from my music files than I was able to with Sonos alone.

Hi @Bob_Clarke,

The first thing I notice is that your Core is on a WiFi connection. As mentioned in our Networking Guide, we generally recommend that you connect via Ethernet. If you use an Ethernet connection is there any improvement here?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.