Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

It wasn’t my question, I’m just surprised you don’t know. BTW, I’m not at all irritated, I’ve tried all the filters and many times had to reinstall HQP because it just overloaded my poor little STPi5. I just think many people have a hard time at first and ask questions that you think are stupid, but the idea for you should be for people to have a good experience with your product. I love it, kudos, but not everyone is an engineer. Cheers.

Because there’s no simple answer. It depends on many factors, such as conversion ratio.

Why reinstall instead of just changing filter to something else? Or just restart the device and you are back to your defaults. Assuming you change filter from control application instead of touching the startup defaults.

The reason I asked the question because my new nuc i7 10 gen 16 GB ram. Keeps dropping off at randomly when I select different filters.

I may not asked in the correct way but some simple guidelines will go a long way.

Now I wondering to build a new server with Intel i9 and high quality components whether it’s a waste of time and money???

Did you already try with HQPlayer OS? What were the results? Which modulator are you using?

• If I read correctly Lampizator Atlantic SE+ can do PCM up to 384Khz and DSD up to 256x, it has two clocks, 44,1 and 48.

• Your NUC CPU i7-10510U is similar to mine i7-8665U: comparison

As such, with HQP in PCM mode you shoul be able to enjoy pretty much ALL combinations of the filters and noise shapers/dithers at your DAC’s maximum PCM rate to your liking. CPU should stay below 50C most of the times.

HQP DSD mode is significantly more demanding on CPU. For PCM to DSD beside the filter you should take into account modulator and DSD rate. For SDM to SDM - integrator, conversion, modulator and the rate.

It is not at all clear from your earlier posts what type of settings do you try to use except this remark:

This combination works OK at my NUC i7-8665U with ASDM7ECv2 at DSD256x rates, with upto PCM 192/24 sources. One or two CPU cores would be hitting 100C time to time, but playback remains smooth for hours.

In case you can not achieve stable performance at DSD 256x, I reccomend you to try either the “lighter” modulator, for example ASDM7 and/or so called “-2s” family of filters, for example, to start:
ASDM7 with 1x, Nx - “poly-sinc-short-mp-2s”

For my passively cooled i7-8665U this combination provides very moderate CPU use.

Another option is to step down to DSD 128x rates. In this case you surely be able to use ECv2 modulators with popular filters “poly” and “ext”

I hope it helps in your journey.

2 Likes

As Jussi asked and IgorSki hinted , which modulator have you been having issues with?

Just for comparison, with 1x = poly-sinc-gaus-xla, Nx = poly-sinc-gaus-hires-lp, Modulator = ASDM7ECv2, DSD256, my i9-11900 server stays at 50% CPU load, 40C (fan-cooled).

Please find the attached image of my Hqplayer setup and what changes should I make?

Those settings result in stutter?

yes - dropping out.

What if you make 1x the same as your current Nx ?

short-lp-2s

Set and testing and BTW I’ve changed Modulator to DSD7.

Try ASDM7 still or ASDM5 if that doesn’t work

Try change one thing at a time.

Also try 1x = poly-sinc-short-mp-2s and same for Nx

2 Likes

Changed to your configuration and testing.
ASDM7 and 1x = poly-sinc-short-mp -2s and same for Nx
Dropped out.
Changing to ASDM5

no joy - dropped out

Qafro, when do you say “dropped out” what exactly do you mean:
a - playback continues but shatters frequently ?
b - playback stops unexpectedly by itself ?

I use a Nuc10i3/16GB ram running HQPlayer OS (embedded) with
Auto rate family checked
ASDM5
1x poly-sinc-gauss-long
Nx poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp
rate limit 24576000 (48xDSD512)
and a rpi4/NAA (48k DSD checked)
without any issue at all …

2 Likes

Pls, what OS are you running Hqplayer and roon core.
Are they installed on the same NUC?

B. playback stops unexpectedly by itself.

Pls, what OS and headless did you install for them?

nuc10i3 runs HQPlayer OS (embedded) , it boots from usb stick, and rpi4/4GB ram runs RoPieeeXL with NAA enabled