Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

Non-apodizing can work fine, if the material is either hires, or doesn’t happen to be recorded using a typical recent ADC or mastering rate converter. But the results tend to vary a lot from record to record to the those factors. Apodizing filters give more consistent results across the board.

But I’d say at least 90% of current RedBook content needs fixing with apodizing filters.

i use poly-sinc-ext2 and asdm7ec dsd 256. i love it.
how can activate crossfeed in hqplayer?

Enable matrix pipeline processor, and then post-processor crossfeed in it. If you want just cross-feed post-process, leave the matrix table at empty default and just set the post-process part. But not that you need to enable the matrix process as whole in first place.

So what are the Apodizing equivalents of Sinc- L…Sinc - M and Sinc - S?

thx jussi. you‘re the most valuable guy here in this forum. i read all your posts here and on other forums. i wish that you would write a book and make a competing software to roon. or you work with plex in the future, that would be amazing!!!

sinc-S and sinc-M are apodizing, sinc-L is non-apodizing.

Hey, yeah I’m aware of that. Just trying to establish which filter is closest to Sinc L but is apodizing.

HQ Player and TotalDAC

Just in case Totaldac users are interested.

Cheers
NOA

I have got a new toy, but at an old age; Benchmark DAC1 and me retired. Further I have puchased a closed back AKG studio head phone. If things not playing tricks with my head (except the strong dru … meds …) there are really benefits to gain by scrutinize filters, rates, depths and dither. So far the choice for DAC1 is sooo good with 24 bits, auto sample rate (but max 192000), Sinc-S and NS9 dither. Pure joy, so in every detail and corner of the music, yet so benign to my ageing ears. Almost like X-raying the music “body” with the finest infinite number of pixels sensor available. Still I know there are layers that remains to discover … :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok now I’m certain poly-sinc-mp is the best overall ! :grinning:

2 Likes

I can imagine that a nick name “dabassgoesboomboom” preference is transient proirity :slight_smile: :+1:t4: :ok_hand:t4:

Edit: no offense intended, off course

2 Likes

Hahahaha LOL oh man that is priceless, so funny… no offense @dabassgoesboomboom

1 Like

Yes! :grinning:

But am searching for best combination! For time and frequency domain performance

1 Like

It’s funny how we hear the different filters (a topic that Jussi refreshingly stays away from, imagine if he adopted audio marketing speech in lieu of terse engineering lingo.)

I always thought I’d be a “short filter man”. Less is more. Dynamics and transients rule etc. etc.

But when I got down and actually listened to them, it was the longer filters that attracted me. Initially closed form (despite the difficulties with a non 48k DSD DAC) and xtr-2s. These days my heart belongs to ext2.

It just goes to show that listening and expectations don’t always coincide.

1 Like

You got to where I started. :smiley:

1 Like

The difference is larger than I expected, regardless what the people said in my home turf in Facebook. Perhaps I am getting my rig quite transparent now and others who does not recognize what I experience are still in the fog. But when playing my JBL studio monitors, it is poly-sinc-ext2, with Shaped dither I prefer, getting a little more ompf in the bass beats (dabassgoesboomboom…). When playing through my Head phones/Benchmark it is sinc-S and NS9. It is strange how this can differ so clearly. There are tons of explosive dynamics remaining in this setting for headphones, even though it is an apodizing linear phase filter. Trying the headphone setting in my JBL, I am falling asleep in 10 seconds.

1 Like

This is if you accept/believe that short filter = best transients…

If you ask Rob Watts of Chord fame, ext2 is closer to ideal transients. And xtr-lp even closer and sinc-M closest (of HQP set).

LOL oh no. Interesting that the 2 linear phase filters give you completely different experiences on headphones and speakers.

On JBL rig, does poly-sinc-short-mp or poly-sinc-mp make you fall asleep even faster ?

ext2 and xtr have similar length, not much difference, xtr is a little longer. But the two are otherwise very different. sinc-L is the longest one, but only medium attenuation, very different from sinc-S and sinc-M (which are the same filter, but variable vs fixed length).

Yes all noted but main point was to say some DSP experts say shortest filters produce ideal transient response and some (or one) says longest possible filter produces ideal transient response.

I like ext2 also.

I’m just trying to spend more time with mp filters recently and find which of them I like best.

poly-sinc-mp seems to be ticking most of my boxes (recently).