Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

In that screen shot you have SDM Bit rate/Limit at 48k x 256. If, like me, your DAC doesn’t do 48k DSD then 44.1k x 256 is a better limit.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve made that change, here’s what my setup looks like now. Other than the change you just proposed (48/256 → 44.1/256) it’s been very stable for the last day running almost continuous. Pretty happy with it to be honest.

In the end, a lot of the early glitching I heard was a network related issue, not a computer or HQPlayer issue. HQPlayer is quite stable on the mac mini as long as the network it’s on isn’t doing funny routing to the NAA :expressionless:

You might want to try the HQ Player OS Rpi NAA image for your endpoint. It is stable for me, I prefered it over Ropiee.

1 Like

In my system as well this is the case!

Thanks for the tip - I got this installed and running on one of my Rpi 4. It’ll be interesting to see if there’s a performance / stability difference.

Interesting that this dedicated Rpi image isn’t advertised very clearly on HQPlayer web page. It would be nice to see it more upfront, and some documentation is always helpful :wink:

But it works! Very easy: download, unzip, burn image, plug into Rpi, turn on Rpi, and profit!

And now just like that I need another Rpi just for HQPlayer… if I didn’t know better I would say this feels like a marketing ploy to sell more Rpi!

[edit] not certain if sound quality is changed much with HQPlayer Rpi NAA image over RopieeeXL NAA, but for some reason the CPU load is more stable now. I don’t know nearly enough about HQPlayer to explain why this might be. But no complaints! Now I just need to get a good setup to do A / B comparisons.

Sound quality improved quite a lot for me, changing from RoPieeeXL to NAA image on RPi4’s.

Because it went from having dropouts to smooth & stable playback - the biggest kind of sound quality improvement !

I still use (and big fan of) RoPieee for displays & basic controls around the house, with the 7" RPi screen.

1 Like

@elementze I also use the topping E30, can I ask where you found the value for DAC bits = 32 I have been searching everywhere and couldn’t find the value?

Just noting that DAC bits is relevant only for PCM. DSD/SDM is 1 bit by definition.

DSD is 1 bit SDM.

SDM itself can have multiple bits.

I think ? :grinning:

The topping website has it:
E30 Multi-input PCM768&DSD512 DAC-TOPPING (tpdz.net)

What filter configuration do you use with your E30?

I’m currently on a bit of an exploration mission at the minute, trying to find the best balance with hardware. I started a thread with my attempts so far to get the best filters running.
1x is running at image
Nx is running at image
I would like poly-sinc-gauss-xla - ADSM7EC running on both 1x and nx but just not enough juice atm.

1 Like

I agree that these gauss filters sound very nice on the E30. Lately I’ve been experimenting with DSD256-5EC instead of 7EC. So far I think I like the sound better, but still experimenting… and it saves a little on CPU.

Do you run the E30 in DAC mode, with volume control disabled? This enables Native DSD (DSD Bypass), such that it minimizes internal processing and directly passes the DSD stream to the output filter.

1 Like

Have you guys tried the SPDIF on your E30s? I had one for a few weeks and found the SPDIF to sound way better than the USB out. Would be interesting to know what you experienced.

Ughh? I think so, but now i’m gonna have to go a check

May the tinkering begin again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t see that filter on my settings. I use HQplayerD which only has a web interface so might be different?

It’s there, ASDM5EC.

1 Like

Do you see the sample rate displayed in the screen? Or volume? If sample rate then you are in DAC mode. This enables bypass of all of the PCM conversion and volume control circuits.

Yip! It would seem I am running with bypass of all PCM conversion :+1:

1 Like

My father’s most oft-repeated axiom: “It constantly amazes me that whatever you’re looking for always turns up in the last place you look.” It sorta sums up the audiophile life for me.

1 Like

Last place because you already found it and stopped looking further. :wink: