Which HQP Filter are you using? [2023]

I’m an idiot… There was a firmware update for the May with a fixed volume option. Fixed everything… Just FYI if there is another idiot with a May asking the same question haha

3 Likes

I finally got this combo working on the new version of Hqplayer.
The difference between 256 and 512 on a Holo May is much bigger than expected! For me the most noticable effect is an increase in bass definition. It’s making me consider buying a 13th gen intel to see if 1024 is even better :smiley:

3 Likes

This is great for headphones. Thanks

1 Like

Are you sure it’s the switch to DSD512 or rather the choice of the 512+fs filter (vs ECV2) ?

I could try the 512+fs filter at 256 and see how that sounds different, although that modulator is not designed for that rate. Jussi has stated that it’s better to run an EC modulator at 256 than without one at 512, but i’m not completely sure if there are significant differences between the one bit and pseudo multi bit modulators.

I’m looking for advise on the best HQP filter/dither to upsample 44.1/16 to 96/24 on a Cirrus Logic CS4398 based dac. Only 96/24 is supported so it must convert between rate families (no integer upsampling)

I’ve found this classic filter upgrade quite nice, now that I’ve a computer that can handle it.

Poly-sinc-ext3 1x/ Nx Shaper:ASDM7ECv2

2 Likes

I always use one set of filters from my children’s nursery rhymes or symphony orchestra. I never have to change it.

2 Likes

Yes, these are pretty different. The difference between 5th and 7th order modulators is smaller, although that is also pretty notable in some ways. There is no absolute “better one” between these.

2 Likes

I think the default filters are good starting point, but since your maximum rate is limited to 96k and you may need to also down-convert some content, I would set both 1x and Nx to poly-sinc-gauss-long for starters. But please consult the manual table for some guidance about other alternatives. Use TPDF or Gauss1 dither, and remember to set DAC Bits to 24.

Thank you for the help. In the manual, do your terms “rates” or “playback rate” always mean output sample rate when referring to filters and dither?

For dither, it is always about output rate. On filters it is usually stated, or simply talking about conversion ratios. Playback rate refers to the output rate.

1 Like

Can anybody explain me Noise-sharping / dither / modulator selection? F.e. NS5 is designed for 8x to 16x rates. I am playing file f.e. 96 kHz with upsampling to 384. These recommended rates in manual (see attachment) are for original file or to upsampled files? I am using TPDF, but want to try NS5 or NS9. Thanks

Your final upsampled rate

1 Like

My new favorite :star_struck: combo

5 Likes

Please put that in plain English for the English-speaking audience. Or, which filter works well with R2R DACs, and which works well with Delta-Sigma DACs?

R2R DACs are PCM DACs, while Delta-Sigma DACs are DSD DACs.

So I’m not sure what you mean? The quoted part refers to implementation of the Delta-Sigma DAC in question.

Thank you, Jussi. I always appreciate your response. I have two DACs: one Delta-Sigma and the other one R2R. I have figured out the type of music that plays with these two DACs. Should I pick PCM or SDM based on the classification of DACs I use for an album? Do you have a shorthand trick based on your experience?

What are the exact DAC models in question?

Here are the two DACs:
Delta Sigma DAC - Denon Anniversary Edition PMA-A110 (four mono Burr Brown PCM1795 DAC chips)
R2R DAC: Denafrips - Terminator (2021 version)

If other things matter here it is.
Amplifier:
McIntosh MC152

Speakers:
A pair of JBL Classics L100