Whisk(e)y loving objectivists’ corner

Also i suggest pre-mixing outside the glass, as its a mare to properly integrate once its in.

2 Likes

I’ve just inherited a whisky collection from a friend who died recently. I’m a fan of the amber liquid and that’s basically how we became friends in the first place. I’ve checked…most of it is too valuable to drink. There are about 25 bottles and the three that stand out are a 1965 ‘Celebration of the Cask’ Macallan, a 37 year old Brora and a 1970 Springbank, all in beautiful wooden boxes which are just gorgeous to look at! I did however toast the old boy with a 1967 Dunglas though. It was sublime!

4 Likes

Did your friend collect for investment purposes, or simply to enjoy?

He was just a collector of things. He also had cars and a huge collection of model railway rolling stock. I don’t think he bought any of it as an investment. He just liked to have it.

2 Likes

Settling in with a Laphroaig Select and chilling to the music on Roon.

I identify with your late friend. To pursue something just for the joy of it, for the engineering, for the quality, for the interest and passion alone, is a pure ideal.

I love music, cars, motorbikes, watches, wine and a few other things. I like none of them for any perceived prestige; I have no desire to spend money to impress. I just enjoy what those things are for their own qualities alone.

6 Likes

Well spoken. :grinning:

On this topic I concur with Brockmire…

sazerac1

4 Likes

My latest acquisition:

@ElTel It’s not just wine that comes from Australia!

Typical Aussie labelling :grinning:

10 Likes

try a Penicillin.

1 Like

Just looked it up. Sounds delicious!

1 Like

Had one yesterday, very refreshing.

2 Likes

It pays to be nice. I was picking up a few things for my upcoming anniversary. Cards, candy in the like. Decided to swing into a liquor store I rarely frequent. One bottle on the shelf behind the cash register. A present to myself.

4 Likes

Nice score!

2 Likes

Thanks I’ve got a 10-year private barrel bottle. Maybe my memory is fading but I don’t remember seeing the barrel proof in 12 year before…only 10. Anxious to crack it open

2 Likes

My most recent additions to the spirit store…

The Aberlour 14, I would describe as an A’bunadh lite - it’s a close second to A’bunadh when it’s cut to 40% abv with water. Lots of sherry richness.

The Suntory Toki is a delicious, easy drinking and very affordable blend. I’d highly recommend anyone to try it.

Ron Zacapa’s Solera 23 is sublime. Not too far shy of the XO, and at half the price a veritable bargain!

My birthday is coming up soon - I’m sure there will be another addition or two :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve been meaning to branch out into Japanese whiskey. Never had one, at least that I know of. Not done much looking either. Is that a good place to start? Readily available? Bourbons just keep getting more and more silly with availability. I wish the trend would die off already.

Rums/Rhums especially dark ones are a particular love of mine. Nice RonZ there. Have you tried Afrohead in the opaque black bottle? Picked it up on whim a couple years back and really liked it…have bought a few since.

Does your coffee and booze share a common spot or was that just the staging area for the photo? Someone in the coffee thread suggested Phil & Sebastian a while back and I really like their coffee…shipping is a bit of a deal breaker to me, but a nice treat from time to time.

1 Like

I’ve had a few of the Suntory whiskies - couldn’t really fault any of them. They also seem to be readily available. Definitely a good place to start with Japanese whisky.

Haven’t tried Afrohead XO yet - doesn’t seem to be readily available here in the UK, but I’ll keep an eye out for it.

Nah, it’s just that the lighting under the cupboard by the coffee grinders makes good illumination for whisky bottle photographs :wink:

Where it comes to coffee, I’ve tried lots and lots of different ones, even über pricey boutique blends. Have been resolutely embedded with Pact Coffee’s micro-lot blends for the last few years. Nothing else comes close where my taste buds are concerned and I really like their philosophy and ethics.

1 Like

Too bad you are so far away. There is a world friendly coffee co-op named Just Coffee (Justice from the grounds up or something like that). Nice play on words. Fair Trade and all that. I really like several of their offerings.

1 Like

Big fan of Ron Zacapa. I have used the solera as a substitute spirit in an Old Fashioned. Highly recommended as a little experiment.

I have about half a bottle each of the solera and XO left. Might have a little muddle over the weekend.

2 Likes

4 Likes