Who has a turntable in their setup?

Thank you. Hearing a turntable would require a hi-fi shop that would be available for such comparisons. I shall be forced to purchase based upon reviews by others. I do not have budgetary constraints, but I do have conceptual problems with companies making small additions (or options) at disproportionate price. VPI does that with some of their accessories. They have a new “2021” model. I do not plan on adding a phono pre-amp stage so may well go with MM cartridge. And your points are very well taken. A turntable is a lot like a performance car for which there are a range of add-ons. While setting up a turntable harkens back to the days when my wife and I would modify amps and pre-amps, I think setting up a turntable is either an adventure or an invitation for frustration. Many of the online dealers will set up the turntable for you, but that also detracts from the “fun” and adventure.

Or go second hand and buy an already hot rodded table. You can generally tell the people who have looked after it by the long and detailed description in the listing :grinning:

“Used” has a lot of merit at multiple levels. My experience is that most people would rather put something in a closet than to sell at a “loss.” But thank you for the suggestion/recommendation. It is interesting that people allow used equipment merely to be set aside, but then I have two NAD receivers on a shelf where I could either sell or trade…toward a turntable.

Yep, totally agree on the used route. I acquired my Roksan that way and it’s been a great buy. A very good table with a lot of headroom for taking a better arm and cartridge. Sounds like a crawl through ‘Craig’s List’ or some of the forums ‘for sale’ threads might be in your future!:slightly_smiling_face:

I haven’t played vinyl since I moved from England to California in 2001. I brought my small collection of LP’s (maybe 100 albums) with me but left the turntable there - a Dual CS-502. It was going to cost more to swap out the power supply to US voltage than it was worth. I still regret that decision. I am very happy with my digital set up; ripped CD’s, HD downloads and streaming but I have a growing desire to play my records again. I’m thinking of buying a Rega Planar 1 just to find out if analog still holds some magic for me.

1 Like

Don’t have physical turntable any more as traded it in just over a year ago.

Still have virtual turntable as previously digitised all my vinyl and put it on the local music library attached to Roon core.

For me digital music regardless of source and Resolution is just the second source.
But if i want listen to digital the efford is allmost on the same Level as analog
Michael

I’ve maintained a turntable in my setup all of my life. I’m 60 now. Furthermore, I will always have one.
Vinyl is the essence of music. Anything else is just convenience.
My current table in use is an Oracle Delphi Mk I with a few Mk II fixings. A factory transition piece.
I have a Grace Gyro-Master G-727 Tonearm with a Grace F9-Ruby Cartridge.
I’ve had it many years and preform a thorough teardown, maintenance and calibration every 5 to 6 years.

6 Likes

I love my Delphi! It’s a Mk 1 with a few modern upgrades (delrin suspension pillars, new hard mat). I’m just dreading the day the motor finally gives up the ghost and I have to consider how to replace it :woozy_face:

I’m with you on that. I, too, have rebuilt my towers with the kit including the derlin and sorbothane isolation upgrades as well as new springs.
It sounds like you already know that they no longer make that pancake motor. Part of my maintenance includes opening the motor housing and oiling the bearings as best I can and adjusting the thrust plate at the bottom.
I’m happy to report that I think my motor has many years left in it.

1 Like

My Technics SL1200 only serves as a static display.

2 Likes

Do you do cars as well …:sunglasses:

If you’re referring to the pop band The Cars, No, Their not one of my preferred groups.
If you’re talking vehicles then yes I drive older model Land Rovers. A Discovery and two Range Rovers in my collection at the moment.

I meant you seem rather mechanically hands on :stuck_out_tongue:, stripping turntables seems a bit tricky to me, but my hands aren’t what they used to be …

I was brought up stripping engines in the good old 105E Ford Anglia, when you could see past the engine to the road :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

So, you’re a Prince fan then? :wink:
But the TT really deserves to be used as a source! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I still have a turntable with preamp at my home which I use at weekends mostly. I’ve purchased using the Vinyl Studio program. And then those files import into Roon. Sounds significantly better than their standard “digital” version.

I just upgraded my 1979 Hitachi TT with a Rega Planar 3, a Tru-Lift tonearm lifter and a Clearaudio Weight Watcher Electronic Stylus Gage. I set my VTF by eye then checked it with the gage, I was way off. My VTF is supposed to be 1.75 grams and I had it set to 1.95 grams.

Latest in:

Clearaudio Master Solution with SME M2-12R.
I really. like this one too! Sporting a Denon DL-103 in a Midas body at this time, but im battling a slight hum from the otherwise great sounding Ortofon SPU GT.

12 Likes

How long is that arm? It is so long it almost looks like you are close to linear tracking! :grinning:

I guess it is 12", doh! Looks longer in the picture.

1 Like

Ha, yes! :grinning: I agree it looks really long, but its a pretty standard issue 12" arm.