Why aren’t you listening to Irish ☘ music right now?

Roon random radio extension picked this and I thought why not?

https://i.imgur.com/7KjV12H.png

The absolutely wonderful first “rock” (or non-folk) album by Paul Brady.

If this means nothing to you just have a listen to crazy dreams.

.sjb

4 Likes

I saw your post while the Irish music was already playing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

RoonShareImage-637809492454977855

2 Likes

This one maybe a bit of a stretch for “Irish Music”. But checkout “Lagan Love” (track 11) by Anglo/Indian Sheila Chandra. She often does a very special sub-continent take on Irish classics.

RoonShareImage-637809603116591105

1 Like

Hard Station is a great album, had it on vinyl since it came out.

My favourite track is “ Nothing but the same old story”

Primitive dance is another album well worth a listen

Cheers

Chris

1 Like

Released 49 years ago (18 Feb 1973)

.sjb

5 Likes

1 Like

Stiff little fingers, undertones, pogues, Dubliners are never far from being played here.
Boomtown rats get a blast too.

If I want something totally different Eleanor mcevoy

1 Like

This is my Irish cousin Sharon Shannon, who is a quite impressive musician, family fealty aside!

Sharon

1 Like

A national treasure actually. And although I have quite a few of her albums I’ve yet to see her live. I must put that right.

.sjb

1 Like

I saw Sharon once at a small music venue in southeastern New York State with the band Cherish the Ladies. Rollicking evening!

2 Likes

I’m not sure how well known Christy is internationally but he is truly one of the top 10 Irish artists of all time. From his work with Planxty and Moving Hearts and his long list of solo albums. A true man of the people, the quintessential folk singer.

.sjb

3 Likes

It’s not all jigs and reels. Check out these bards from Kneecap rapping in gaelic:

1 Like

Albhe Reddy. A big (streaming) hit on spotify:

1 Like

3 Likes

Another well known artist in Ireland that is probably not that well know internationally. Well worth a listen if you like vocal blues with a real lived in feel with an Irish twist. Not quite as pronounced as Dolores O’Riordan but Mary’s Galway accent comes through. Link below.

.sjb

Pierce is one of those hidden treasures. I’ve probably seen him live as much as anyone else. This is his new album, out today, which I was one of the crowd funders for.

Qobuz: Terrible Good by Pierce Turner
Tidal: Terrible Good by Pierce Turner
Spotify: Terrible Good by Pierce Turner

Give it a listen and then give it another listen, there is something unique here but it won’t just jump out and grab you by the throat.

.sjb

Just bought this on bandcamp as I’m going to see them next month.

NASC: Tara Breen, Pádraig Rynne, Jim Murray & Dónal Lunny

.sjb

I’m looking forward to the new album coming out soon…

3 Likes

Stupendous stuff

Qobuz: Check Shirt Wizard - Live In '77 by Rory Gallagher
Tidal: Check Shirt Wizard - Live In '77 by Rory Gallagher
Spotify: Check Shirt Wizard - Live In '77 by Rory Gallagher

.sjb

5 Likes