Why do people hate jazz?

“The reality about musical taste is that it takes real WORK to transcend the limited range of the musical experiences of one’s youth, and most people are too busy or self-satisfied to try.”

@Fernando_Pereira
@ged_hickman1

This is a hobby, and for purely for personal enjoyment. Every person has their own views of music and how that applies to their own listening habits. If YOU want to WORK at it, that’s certainly a personal choice, but like ged hickman1 inferred, your posted comments appear arrogant and elistist to me. I have no other reason to listen to music than for self satisfaction.

1 Like

Yes, proudly. When my reaction to something becomes routine, it’s time to learn something else, and that requires work.

2 Likes

I guess I feel something like Fernando_Pereira in that I listen to music both for pure pleasure, and for the pleasure of challenge.

On the other hand, I cook to simply feed myself (my wife is too smart to eat my cooking!). To others, cooking is an art and a challenge.

I think we all chose areas in our lives to enjoy passively, and others to enjoy actively.

The areas we choose to challenge ourselves in do not define our worth, only our individualistic preferences.

4 Likes

For the same reason some people hate cats. Neither are predictable enough for them.

3 Likes

So come on guys I would love to listen to some jazz music and enjoy it . Name an album you think a new listener would like and I will gladly give it a go.
I tried last year. I bought an album by Cecile Mclorin Savant, it does has its moments and loved her voice , but overall I would not listen to it out of choice .

I am from Newcastle . It’s an effort to be cultured :grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

I think one of the problems with “getting into jazz” is that Jazz encompasses so many different aspects.
If someone who knew nothing about rock music asked how to get into rock music Jimi Hendrix is probably not the best place to start but so often we suggest Miles Davis for Jazz.

Anyway, try these

.sjb

3 Likes

Can you tell us what you like to listen to ? There are many entry points and finding ones that have something in common with your existing tastes would be best.

I know we all say this but I have a wide taste I think. Tonight I have listened to some Ryan Adams, Death From Above 1979, Aretha Franklin and Lissie. Like I say I listen to most genres. I even like Rap

I tend to have to listen to an album a few times before I like it , so I will pick one if the suggestions on here and listen to it at least 5 times.

Having s listen to the Oscar Peterson Trio rec above …could not see me ever liking this, although I can see why audiophiles like jazz. The track People had my feet tapping though :grinning:

The artists that I came in with were Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, later Miles Davis, Kenny Burrell, Herbie Hancock, Grant Green, Jaco Pastorius and Alice Coltrane. I’d suggest Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue. Listen to that a few times and see if it grabs you.

Edit: This is it, Blues based with tasteful diversions:

This is what Roon Radio wanted to play for me after Midnight Blue. Excellent choice:

2 Likes

Ok the Duke Ellington one has some appeal. Did not like the other two at all .Thanks for the post though

A classic -

An acquired taste -
https://i.imgur.com/iLeyppu.png

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies guys. I will pick one from these suggestions and roll with it .
Some do have my feet tapping at least, so with some repetition you never know :grinning:

Ah, give Belonging a few more listens, at night, with lights off and a nice tipple.

You owe it to yourself.

.sjb

Among the more recent artists/works, I recommend this for variety, listenability, and sheer fun
https://i.imgur.com/KdXWQqB.png

3 Likes

Ok I think the Dave Brubeck one has the most appeal. As for the other suggestion Mats Gustafson…wow that is not music :grinning: dreadful. Please don’t be offended just light hearted banter .

I have 3 on the shortlist and willl listen a little more before making my choice, but sort of liking the Dave Brubeck one straight away

2 Likes

This one would actually be my recommendation for a first jazz album. Play it to your children if you have any, they may grow up to appreciate good music (and it is fun to listen to).

It’s on this week’s playlist and it’s as good a reason as any to open that Dalwhinnie.

1 Like

In the area of recent listenable (I think) jazz/jazz inspired, here are few examples for the last couple of years:

https://i.imgur.com/FWtAgGV.png

3 Likes

Guys thanks I now have more than enough to sift through. No more please as I have OCDs and my head willl explode :grinning:

I am optimistic as some stuff I like immediately , which is surprising
I have added 3 of the suggestions to my albums so far so that is enough for now and my apologies for hijacking the thread

i want to 2nd this suggestion.