Why do people hate jazz?

Yes this has made the shortlist :grinning: which is now becoming a long list :grinning:

1 Like

A few suggestions:
This track, Hello Dave, is appealing.
The rest of the album is more demanding.
https://i.imgur.com/lNkpItV.png

Leszek and Danielsson are favorites. This track has great stuff by both.

Hiromi does wild stuff on the piano. This is my favorite.

Quiet and calm: voice, sax and bass

2 Likes

OK I have started something here haven’t I :grinning:
Picked 2 as I know if I pick any more I won’t do this as I need to listen to my music too.
So it’s the Dave Brubeck album as it appealed straight away, and the Duke Ellington album.

This will take a few weeks I would imagine as I can’t listen to jazz exclusively :grinning:

1 Like

The Brubeck is an excellent choice. You will be familiar with “Take 5” as you have a pulse and have listened to music in the last sixty years. Time Out is one of the jazz albums that went Platinum that Rick Beato referred to in the clip at the top of the thread.

As you listen to Time Out, tap along with the beats in the music. You will find that all the songs on the Album are in strange time signatures, for example “Take 5” is in 5/4. This is part of the playfulness of jazz. The artists are subverting a common expectation in relation to music but maintaining a solid groove throughout.

2 Likes

If by dreadful you mean full of dread, then agreed. That’s part of the point.:laughing:

Glad you liked the Brubeck.

1 Like

I’m sorry to add another one to the mix, but I am somewhat surprised it’s not been mentioned yet.

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis.

It’s got to be one of the most “perfect” albums in existence and was my gateway drug into the jazz scene back in the mid 90’s. I’ve not looked back and have perhaps 2000 or more jazz albums now.

It’s one of those albums that just gets better and better each play and can stay with you for your lifetime.

2 Likes

Fortunately, there are (still) many young people out there who really LOVE jazz. I’m a pianist/keyboardist and I teach music at university. We play about 150 live gigs a year (mainly jazz-funk, fusion and progressive jazz), and we often see quite a few under-30-year-olds in our concerts. Not all of them are my students…:joy:

Count me in for this exercise :slight_smile: I’d add Miles Okazaki, Aaron Parks, Jonathan Finlayson, Ambrose Akinmusire, Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah, David Virelles, Antonio Sanchez, Lionel Loueke, Obed Calvaire, Warren Wolf, Ben Wendel from the under-50 set, all have written and performed accessible and interesting music.

Yeah, beginner-accessible, new and good jazz, would be a great project.
It’s too tempting to write about challenging stuff.

A few quick picks:

• Almost any track in Warren Wolf’s Convergence, for instance Montara
  • Caduceus in Miles Okazaki’s Trickster
  • As We Fight in Ambrose Akinmusire’s The Imagined Savior is Far Easier to Paint
  • Antillais in David Virelles’s MbĂłkò
  • Aziza Dance in Lionel Loueke’s GaĂŻa

How about EST?

I don’t think that music lovers with a strongly felt aversion to jazz CAN or SHOULD be converted with the help of such recommendations. If someone hates pickles, there’s not much point in telling him or her, “I know you don’t like pickles. But there are many, many different kinds of pickle. Not all of them are good. Have you ever tried my favourite pickle?”

Some people may have a “jazz allergy”, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they “SUFFER” from it! No need to “desensitize” them…:joy:

(BTW, I LOVE pickles – both metaphorically and literally speaking…)

5 Likes

A good point. I would say I don’t hate any type of music. How can anyone who loves music hate a particular genre. For me it’s just I prefer other music to listen to

Even Polka ?

@andybob

Polka is just another kind of pickle…:joy:

4 Likes

I admit to never having heard of it. So googled and listened.
Not good :grinning: but I don’t hate it
I preferred it to one of the recommendations on here :grinning::grinning:

4 Likes

I love EST.
But perhaps a bit demanding for a newcomer?
Depends on the newcomer, I guess.
Many listen to very loud, brash, difficult music already.
I shouldn’t stereotype.

1 Like

But if somebody says, I hate sushi, and you say I love it, would you like to try some kinds, you might want to start with ahi sashimi and unagi nigiri and a California roll, before you suggest uni.

My point is I probably wouldn’t recommend any kind of sushi to people who tell me they don’t like it. Why should I?

It’s different with my students, of course. I always insist that they try as many different kinds of sushi as possible even if they tell me they aren’t planning on working in a Japanese restaurant…:grinning:

All this talk about food is starting to make me hungry…

Pickles or sushi? Tough decision… (Nah, not really!)

Yes, I really should have written

Especially before you explain that uni is sea urchin gonads.