Why does House Curve app sound worse than without

Used the House Curve app for first time. Added to convolution filters in Roon. The sound is not very good at all. Wondering what I did wrong?

Difficult to say without knowing what you did. Loads of information to read in this thread and probably best to ask there. Post a screenshot of your correction curve and maybe describe your process

1 Like

Thanks, I will try again and post. Question, once I ran the test signal, then got the impulse wav file from that, all I did was add it to Roon convolution filter. I did not make any adjustments because I thought that it was done by the impulse wav. Am I right or am I missing steps? Also, I’ll move this to the audio gear section.

Did you enable the clipping indicator (enable Headroom in Muse and set it to 0 to make it work) and check for clipping? Convolution can drive the signal into clipping and that’s probably the most likely case if it sounds really bad

Yes I did that. There was clipping so I adjusted for that. But that’s all I did.and thought that’s all I needed to do. I’ll try the process again but don’t see how anything will change. I thought I could just run it and not have to do anything manually except for the headroom adjustment. Had to adjust to -7 to stop clipping

Aggressive overcorrection can also be problematic. When I tried the new FIR filter I tried pinning it hard onto a straight line and then it sounded worse.

Also difficult to say because I don’t know in which way it sounds worse for you. In my room with my speakers there is way too much bass with the default Harman curve for instance but the B&K is perfect

1 Like

Bear In mind because of the way these corrections work it often brings overall level down quite significantly. Are you sure you’re compensating for how much quieter it will be now?

3 Likes

I will try the B&K filter, maybe that will work better for me as well. Just seemed like music and vocals sounded more distant. I do have a tube amp and also thought maybe this does not work well with tubes

I doubt the amplification makes any difference. Also, how did you measure?

Well, what do you mean by compensating? If you mean just raising the volume I do that.

Sat in my listening position with my iPhone pointed straight ahead, between the speakers

Just one measurement? You need several in different positions around your head and let HC average them. Else it works only in the one fixed position with your head screwed in place.

A stand is also helpful, wave length is short in higher frequencies and even slight movement while measuring is not ideal

Ok, I will try some more tomorrow using B&K. Thanks for recommendations, appreciated as always

1 Like

Try limiting corrections to no higher than 300hz and keep a low db level for the corrections and only appt reductions. You can save these then try correcting with a bit more db and see how it compares. Less is more, more often than not in DSP. Higher frequencies effect the speaker voicing more than correct for the room.

1 Like

Thanks. Will try

[quote=“Suedkiez, post:13, topic:261858, full:true”]
Just one measurement? You need several in different positions around your head and let HC average them. Else it works only in the one fixed position with your head screwed in place.

A stand is also helpful, wave length is short in higher frequencies and even slight movement while measuring is not ideal