Why does roon pause itself?

I just got Nucleus + going and am playing music to 3 airplay points. It keeps pausing itself and I have to go back to the computer and hit play again. Am I doing something wrong?

Well, something’s definitely wrong.

Tagging @support for you

Thanks, I’m trying to figure out where to post questions. It’s not terribly obvious. Yes I have been playing today to a zone setup with 3 airplay devices at once. It has paused itself multiple times.

Support is probably going to want a more detailed explanation of your setup, i.e. network topology, endpoint devices, are your music files local or are you using a streaming service, etc.

Hi @ryan_stratton,

So we can better assist you, please network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

What kind of Airplay devices are these? If you play individually to one airplay endpoint does the same behavior occur?

It’s a Nucleus + that I just got. It is sending the signal wireless to 3 airplay devices at once. I guess I would have to spend some time playing to just one at a time to see if I can find if one in particular is the culprit. I have had airplay devices drop out before maybe due to lack of signal but they don’t pause playback.

Also files other than 44.1 aren’t playing back normally, they are very distorted, either from my hard drive or via TIDAL

Hi @ryan_stratton,

Regarding your network:

• What router is in use?
  • Is your Nucleus+ connected directly to the router or is there a switch or any other networking hardware involved?
  • Are your Airplay devices connected directly to the router via WiFi or are there other access points?

Is this the case if you aren’t playing to Airplay? If you play to System Output of a remote do you hear the same distortion?

It’s connected directly to my Apple Airport Extreme which is fed in Bridged mode from my comcast router. All of the devices that were in use were airplay and were wireless. I think I’ll have to do more experimenting I suppose with playing only one device and see if I tell if it’s just one that is the problem. I’ve had plenty of dropouts via wireless airplay over the years but it just lost the signal to one station, it never actually would pause itunes or spotify or whatever platform I was playing one. This actually is pausing Roon.

Hi @ryan_stratton,

As mentioned in our Networking Guide, we typically recommend against Apple networking gear as we’ve seen performance issues such as the one you’re seeing here stem from their use. It’s hard to say if that’s the case here just yet, but while testing individual playback to the Airplay zones, it would also be good to know if the same behavior occurs when all devices are connected directly to the main router and not the Airport Extreme.

Thanks,
Dylan

so you are saying not to use Apple Tvs to my various zones? What should I use that is no BS and works. I just used the Apple Tvs in the past because they worked great in iTunes. I could play to any and all at once no problem. This worked perfect over 10 years ago even. I kept getting the pausing anytime I had the zone with 3 things going at once. 2 apple Tvs and a Dynaudio music 7 that has built in airplay. I tried just one zone with only an apple tv and it went for hours without pausing. I guess I have to just keep doing this until I figure out which one is the problem or is it likely that it’s because more than one zone is playing. With iTunes before if it would lose connection to one of the zones it would keep playing on the other zones. With Roon it’s actually pausing the player.

I don’t have Apple Tvs, but I have Chromecast and Roon Plays nice with this.
You can also stream Airplay1 and it appears Roon talks to Apple TV this way.
Easy to test if you can just use your router. Switches are cheap.

When I go from 2 to 3 zones I get also constant pause after 1 hour. Complete different setup, but it looks same problem. 3 is my laptop, maybe too old and can’t manage the stream.

Hi @ryan_stratton,

Apologies for the misunderstanding here. Using Apple TVs / Apple gear as an endpoint is just fine. What we typically recommend against is using Apple networking gear, like the Airport Extreme you mentioned using above.

Moving forward, I was hoping you could reproduce this error and make a note of the following:

• What time the stop occurs
  • What track is playing when the stop occurs
  • What zones you’re playing to

Once I have the above information I will enable diagnostics on your account so the team can take a closer look at what you’re experiencing.

Thanks,
Dylan

so what should I use for my networking gear? I actually just bought this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1255882-REG/amplifi_afi_hd_amplifi_high_density_router.html and was going to replace my airport extreme with it. Hoping to get better wifi coverage

Hi @ryan_stratton,

I don’t know that I’ve seen anything about that specific router, but we’ve seen that many users have good experiences with similar mesh networks. For more about networking recommendations, check out our Networking Guide.

OK. I will be installing that router and see how it works from then on. I’ll post back here after some experimenting

1 Like