Why don't I see Exclusive Mode or any DSP or DSD options?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Inside Tech Roon Core machine. THis just runs roon core and nothing else - it has no screen nor keyboard (it is supposed to work like Roon nucleus). I access the roon menu from the main PC which is on the network but does not contain the Roon core.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet from Synology router via Cisco network switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Pro-Ject Stream Box Ultra S2 roon endpoint into a Vitus SCD025 DAC (which roon can’t idetify but names as XMOS JLsounds Hi-Rez Audio 2.0) via USB. I also have a SoTM 200 Ultra which I use instead of the Project Streambox on occasion but this also has the same problem described below.

And on another system a Chromecast Audio device

Description Of Issue

1. I do not see “exclusive mode” on my set up for the Pro-Ject nor the Chromecast so cannot get into any of the DSD upsampling menus. My Vitus DAC does support DSD, the Chromecast Audio does not.

2. I see no DSP menu setting on the chroemcast audio. A dealer told me to: “choose the correct endpoint, press the ‘trumpet/horn’ icon above the graphic of the device and enter Roon’s ‘DSP’” But I see no trumpet/horn icon.

Please help. I pay a lot of money for Roon but find it so difficult to set up properly.

Not even sure you can get support from Roon for an inside tech system. I’d contact Vitus and see if the DAC can be driven from Linux.

1. There is no need for Exclusive Mode when using networked endpoints, so the option is not shown at all. The option is only present when you can actually make a choice.

2. There are several ways to access the DSP engine. Please use a real remote, PC or suitable tablet, when you plan to configure any DSP settings; don’t try to use your phone for that job.

2 Likes

Not even sure you can get support from Roon for an inside tech system. I’d contact Vitus and see if the DAC can be driven from Linux.

Are you sure? Surely most people do not run their roon from a Roon Nucleus. Inside Tech is just a PC like any old Dell or Apple, surely the tech team support roon issues beyond just roon nucleus owners? Roon nucleus owners must represent a tiny percentage of roon users.

Read the link. As of the time of it being written they bundle in ROCK without a license to do so. That’s aside from their questionable processor choices

1 Like

@BlackJack is correct. The exlusive mode option one would see (if applicable) only pertains the audio devices on the core machine (be it a nucleus, Inside Tech or something else).

If your DAC is attached to a roon remote (ie. not the roon core), then you won’t see the exlusive mode in the settings of the DAC. You may be able to configure on the actual roon remote device (e.g. on the operating system level), more often the vendor of the roon remote device already configured it like that.

1 Like

With that I was referring to black-box solutions like the Pro-Ject Stream Box Ultra S2 or other streamer/bridges. One should get that option if using a platform | driver combination that gives a choice – regardless if it’s the Core itself, a Remote or just a Bridge.

• Mac OS X - CoreAudio
  • Windows - WASAPI
1 Like

Thanks for your reassuring replies re Exclusive Mode. So without Exclusive Mode would you know how I get the Pro-Ject Streambox or the SoTM roon end points to play DSD files from my hard drive or to upsample to DSD?

Within Roon, you can configure the upper limits for a particular audio device. That way, Roon will never send anything to the device that it doesn’t support (by automatically downsampling it).

Alternatively, if for whatever reason, you wish to upsample everything to a specific DSD or PCM sample rate, you can do that from within Roon’s DSP page.

You can verify what happens by opening the signal path popup when you play some music.

1 Like

The complete chain of devices used must support and signal the DSD capability to Roon. It may be that you have to configure your devices to do so. Please consult the manual of your DAC, Pro-Ject Stream Box Ultra S2 and SoTM 200 Ultra to figure out how to do that. You can also use the search function of this forum (magnifying glass on top right) to check if similar threads already exist.

1 Like

Alternatively, if for whatever reason, you wish to upsample everything to a specific DSD

I hear people do this on Roon - is there any advantage to upsampling to DSD from CD quality or 24/96? I get that a DSD file can sound good like SACD does but I am not sure how upsampling to DSD can work.

Thanks for all your help @BlackJack and @Nepherte

PS. the SoTM says DSD Mode and offers options: DOP or Native or DCS or DOP/Native - any idea what this means or should be set to?

From the Roon Knowledge Base:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Conversion_To_PCM#Devices_Must_Be_Configured_to_play_DSD

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Audio_Setup_Basics#DSD_Playback_Strategy

1 Like

I’m no longer getting DSD options in the set-up menus.
Not since about the time of the 1.7 release, I think (although I wouldn’t have been paying much attention back then because I usually used HQPlayer.) I used to be able to switch my ultraRendu into Roon-Ready mode and then select DSD (DoP) upsampling. No more. I’ve tried with two different amps, both of which support DSD128 and can handle it from HQPlayer. The menu options simply stopped appearing.

Hi @Duckworp,

For Roon Ready devices, DSD options have to be configured in the devices Web Interface. I would check the web interface and set the appropriate DSD playback strategy there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.