Why have a digital archive when you can stream all?

Google Banting !!

Low Carb High Fat …

I had a Full Ankle Joint replacement and had to lose weight I went from 115 kg to 75 kg . Took a while but stays off mostly, Covid and lack of gym hasn’t helped.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more , you get to the end of an album , then there’s some more UGH hat shouldn’t be there

I suppose the record companies think they’re doing us a favour

1 Like

Yes. I believe it is part of the fact that the contemporary listener became greedy with the arrival of CDs. Once an LP album had 45 minutes, mostly 8 songs if not prog, and it was enough for us. Now, an album has over one hour of music and no one will like to buy an album with, say, 35 minutes of music in it. I don’t buy new albums so I can’t know for sure, but even I may feel cheated today to pay full price of an album for only 8 songs (considering album-based listening patterns like myself). This meant the issuing company had to fill in the void in the CD with filler bonus when re-issuing an old album, or even provide a bonus CD, who doesn’t like free stuff? Well, I skip all that extra stuff but I think this started it.

I would rather buy an album that has 8 really good songs than and album with 15 songs and only 5-6 good ones. It makes listening to the complete album more enjoyable to me :man_shrugging:

1 Like

As far as I am concerned the Streaming Services are really only good for determining what original versions you want to collect. As for Steve Wilson he is completely over-rated. I’ll take Eddie Offord’s original mixes of Yes music every time. As for his Jethro Tull stuff Ian Anderson just seems to think this is his way to get more people to listen to his music being ‘new’ and all, his original mixes are much more suited to his older music; his newer stuff post 70’s is not very good really IMHO. 70’s vinyl is generally where the musicians and production labels put their best energy. Listen to Olivia Rodrigo the new wonder child and it’s downright depressing, seriously depressing.

Had to check out Olivia Rodrigo, since I had no clue who that was. Just more of the same. Everything is the same.

No streaming service has ever sounded as full fat as streaming from my NAS even at supposedly higher bit rates.

Not sure what Olivia Rodrigo is a wonderkid of, outside confected saccharin pop.
However that’s been around since forever and is thankfully, highly avoidable.

Cause when you own the album the whole album is available to listen to!

1 Like

I live in Switzerland and quite some music I like seems to disappear from Tidal. There are many Albums, where single songs are not available (most of the time my favorite ones). That is the reason that I started buying CD’s again. Yes CD’s because a lot of music is still not available for download. Even not at Qobuz.

3 Likes

Could anyone please find me :
Dick Hyman / Roger Kellaway “Two Pianos” (CD issued 2008)
for streaming or on sale ?

Are Enrique Villegas 3 CDs issued by EDICION NACIONAL on Quobuz ? They are on sale on mercadolibre.com.ar but shipping is allowed only in Argentina. If someone can find them for sale everywhere.

How many records from the Mashmallow label on quobuz ?

How many fake labels on Quobuz such as SendDigital, Matchless Collections, Music Manager, PnR (I’m sure I could find tens of those putting on line bad copies of LPs).

Qobuz is certainly great for modern musics. But there are hundreds of CDs missing in Jazz or classical area.

Lastly, what is on line today might not be in let’s say six months.

Examples of albums that sound better on original CD pressing than remasters on Tidal.

Michael Jackson - Thriller, Dangerous

Paul Simon - Graceland

Iron Maiden - Powerslave

The remasters are dynamic range compressed and are tiring to listen to.

1 Like

I was tended to switch to streaming only, because I was so comfortable. My digital collection was a rather unsorted mess and playing it with my (wonderful sounding) Linn Klimax DS renew was no fun, because the software was so crappy and uncomfortable.

Gladly, short after I thought I’ll stop the work organizing my local Audio files it happened to me that Spotify silently replaced two loved songs of mine in playlists with a dull other version. In one case, one live version was replaced with a musically completely different live version. In another case, an “explicit” version was replaced with an american radio version with half the lyrics censored (I didn’t like the lyrics, too, but that’s a matter of principle).

That showed my the “hazards” of relying on streaming, so I decided to never let go my local media :sunglasses:

However, two things have changed since:

1. Roon has brought back the fun into browsing and listening to the local collection.
  2. I have a comfortable, easy and well working workflow for cleaning, normalizing, renaming, etc… my digitial media with the absolutely brilliant tool “Yate” (Mac only). I had a hard time to set up the workflow, but now using it is a no-brainer and a matter of seconds.
2 Likes

Yup, the same ole. I checked her out because she’s got 3 out of the top ten on Billboard on this release, and that’s a new record (no pun intended), and well I thought maybe it could be good, but Nah.

Production teams and labels like to play it safe on that level. Why feed something good if the masses gladly eat ■■■■■

I got in trouble on here a while ago for saying I wouldn’t consider another tagger having found Yate. I still stand by that. Brilliant bit of software.

1 Like

@Andy_Jones It has a really, really steep learning curve. You’ll spend an hour alone finding out what you can do. And then, some hours for finding out how :slight_smile: I think most people don’t invest that time…

But once it is running, it’s like performing half an hour manual work on media files in seconds to get everything shaped the way you want to have everything…

I had a good start in programming in the '80’s so I was really happy to get into the programming side of it. It seems really well written by someone with a lot of experience.

I think I should give it some more time when I can, especially the capacity to associate files with other programs which is something that would help me manage my library.

Well said!

It is curious because I don’t think his mixing is bad, but why? If you listen to his own music it is kinda good (not an epic guitar man IMO), but compared to studio mixing work by Martin, Jones, Becker/Fagen, Parsons, Offord and many others back in the reel to reel era, he comes out flat to me. Perhaps it’s a digital era taste thing, but that is the point why take great music as is, and try to digitally make it greater? Most re-master/re-mixes don’t seem to really make things better, sometimes they do but that occurs mostly when they improve the fidelity and leave the mix alone. Cheers ikay

I worked in pharma. When a drug nears the end of its patent status, the company comes out with an updated product to get additional patent protection. They may add an ingredient, make a chewable, once a day formulation etc. Maybe a remix is a way to get extended or widened copyrights on an old work?

1 Like