Why have a digital archive when you can stream all?

To those who only stream…your streaming down for any reason? Bummer. As long as I have power, I can play my 300k+ physical library.

Thanks for the reply ikay-uzun: Not sure about the copyrights angle. But here is a great example of what I am talking about. George Harrison’s ‘All Thing’s Must Pass’ 50th Anniversary release just came out recently. The mix is dull and flat sounding. Try a comparison to the original and it has a ‘liveliness’ that is un-mistakeable! I grew up in the Los Angeles area in the 60’s - 70’s when all of this music was on the AM/FM radio and or out on vinyl; sounding great then and now. Not sure if it’s a boring old approach where these guys load up the original material into Apple’s Pro Tools and it comes out homogenized sounding or what, but IMHO it lacks in multiple dimensions simultaneously, almost boring in comparison… don’t get me started on adding in another couple dozen practice takes or whatever, again mixed in the ‘Dull Tools’ approach. Either way it seems like they are just out of good material and recycling the old good stuff into homogenized dull sounding stuff with lots of boring extra tracks is what it take to sell stuff these days. Let’s be real here 30+ years of kwest et. al. has ruined the music industry down there and everywhere sadly :^( again imho.

1 Like

I posted this message a while ago, asking “why have a digital archive when you can stream all?”. Well, Tidal just announced that they are ending operations in my country (Turkey) as of 14/10/2021 :expressionless: I was not a big fan of the company but it was the only option available for me until recently.

We don’t have Qobuz here, so now I have to use Apple Music for lossless audio streaming needs and I have to use Roon without streaming service integration. It is as if I foresaw my problems back when I started this thread. How much functionality will I lose in Roon, time will tell. I have a big archive, so I still need Roon (or Audirvana) at home, but things will change and I am not happy to have to use Apple things, where technical details are frequently hidden or shrouded. I hope there will be other options available in near future with Roon. And I am happy that I did not choose a lifetime Roon option. If you live in an unstable country, never make long term commitments :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

And now, as sad as it is, you have one of the many reasons why to your initial query.

4 Likes

For me:

1. Full control of the mastered version. Many MANY of my preferred local files are not available to stream. Not will the ever be available to stream.
  2. Support the artist more directly. This isn’t always a given because I buy a lot of used stuff, but dammit! A digital download purchase makes me feel better than the odd stream. BANDCAMP FTW!
  3. Ownership. If I no longer want to pay a subscription service, no problem. 90% of my library is digitally backed up and travels with me. It is mine. I could care less about resale value. I don’t buy music to gloat about how valuable my purchase it. I own it. If I don’t want to own it, I either give it away or resell, but I hate doing the latter, so value means less to me.
  4. Curation. This may not fit so well, but I really try to keep digital files for things I own or masterings that are long gone and I was able to score. (RCA Bowie fans, please help! I will share my Ryko bonus tracks with you!)
  5. Price and availability. Okay…I admit it…I am addicted to obscure classical composers and labels. Every once in a while, I get lucky. Someone will dump their obscure classical collection in a thrift store. I LIVE for these finds. It happens in my state more than you might imagine…and I hit many parts of my state and search their thrift bins. It keeps me alive.
2 Likes

Oh! And Steven Wilson is a positive in our hobby. He may remix, but he often also flat transfers…

Butchya gotta buy the Blu-ray Disc to get it all. While supplies last. He does it right, but it is limited.

1 Like

Have you tried signing up to Tidal in another country? For example, if you can sign up to Tidal via an account in the USA or Europe, via a VPN or a trusted friend, you should still be able to access Tidal in your own country.

1 Like

Yes, the irony… I am so happy that I have an archive.

I could use a VPN but it will cost me four times more (since local currency is weak) and I might run into speed issues (since local internet is weak). Anyway, I will wait a little while trying out Apple music. I think things will change regarding streaming services with Roon. I don’t expect Apple integration but I thing we’ll see some changes.

Very glad to see he is doing some service to somebody. For me he’s just a nuisance. Sorry if I sound rude, English is my second language and I am not fully in control of the tone :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not everyone’s cup of tea but his remix’s are genius. His last album, meh.

Although I like streaming I like to purchase my favorites. I have quite a few of his blurays.

Hehe, your tone is just fine. No worries! :blush:

He does a lot of people a great service. He remixes with care, he gives multichannel audio the credit it deserves, and he often (but not always) provides flat transfers of master tapes in addition to the remix.

I am not so happy that he seems to be the steward of classic prog rock. But honestly, I would rather have him than Andy Jackson taking the reins on remixing all the classics. I don’t hear what Gilmour sees in that bloke.

1 Like