Why I Left Roon

Roon is clearly not for you then, which is great. It won’t be for everyone as your insight suggests…

1 Like

The biggest advantage of Roon over say your current setup is very clear to me. You have to use two different eco systems to manage and play music to your systems.

For me it’s where Roon wipes the floor with everything else. It opens up hardware of different eco systems to be controlled by one. It’s one unified interface to control playback to all my systems and the music streaming services I prefer to use. No different APIs and views just one simple way to organise and navigate all my music whether it’s local or cloud based.

As for BluOs I feel it sucks. Yes it has many services but each one is integrated in different ways that the whole experience is jarring and the UI is different for each one. I used to have a Node2 so have experience with it, fantastic it is not in my opinion.

I used to use LMS many moons ago but I found the interface and library management a bit meh. It’s also required either thier hardware or a raspberry pi or pc so choice of upgrades was limited. But when I moved to Roon I could still use my old Squeezebox kit and repurpose my pis to become pure Roon whilst also adding in better Roon Ready hardware and still use one interface.

Given you have squeezeboxs and Bluesound Roon would unite them both. But we all have different views and priorities of what’s important to use. I know have the best of both as Roon allows me to have high end or low end kit and still use the same software to control it. To me this is paramount having to juggle many apps to play music is just not for me any more and also allows the family to participate and not be just me.

Any way enjoy your choice it’s lucky we have so many.

3 Likes

Actually in a digital music reproduction chain, outside of the room and the speakers, software might be the next best place to make improvements/corrections. It is certainly far cheaper and easier to modify than buying dedicated hifi equipment to ‘change’ your sound.

You talk about ‘filters and algorithms’ like they are something different to, say, placing a tube amp into your setup because you like the warmer sound; they are not different ultimately.

Roon allows you to apply lots of different filters and algorithms to perform room correction, speaker correction and even just tweak to your preferred ‘sound’ without needing to swap out potentially large and expensive pieces of analogue hifi equipment in order to do so. And that is aside from all the more mundane tasks of library management, consolidation and multi-endpoint support.

4 Likes

Sure. But, this statement:

“Sure it [higher resolution] sounds slightly different but not better than 16/44.1.”

Is a not a “truth” at all. That’s an opinion with no leg to stand on. It is a fallacious statement.

1 Like

There is more than one way to experience great music. Just because someone has chosen to use Roon doesn’t make it fanatical. Most here have tried other options and chose Roon for various reasons. I only tried Roon and since it worked for me with my hardware, I never needed to try something else. It’s all good. Use what you like and what works for you.

EDIT: You don’t have to use MQA and high-resolution with Roon. It plays 16/44.1 also. Some people just like the integration and metadata. I originally just liked that Roon RAAT would send music from my laptop across the room to my Oppo. It worked with hardware I already owned. A $500 lifetime subscription was cheaper than a streaming device (some, maybe not all).

1 Like

for me it comes down to the quality of the original, and in some cases the particular performance of the musician/artist. my library contains opera thru hip pop and everything in between.

16/44.1’s can sound better than 24/192 because the sound engineers of the master recording have a better ear for and more experience with sound.

there’s a lot of digital crap out there -which i have- of older specific favorite performances i like and constantly tweaking via hardware &/or software doesn’t help it sound significantly better.

3 Likes

I haven’t left Roon, Lifetime subscriber, however I rarely use it now. The reason for this is that playlist management is not very good. One, I can’t export a playlist to an m3u file in a correctly sorted order. It does have a function for Excel, but the song list is alphabetical. Playlist management is important, because I can spend hours creating custom playlists to set a mood, but I have no way to export them to another platform which share the same NAS and directories. This is important since Roon is not accessible outside the home network. With Plex and ITunes I can easily move playlists around, but Roon Playlist management gets very little attention from developers.

4 Likes

Why did you buy a lifetime subscription when the playlist functionality did not meet your needs and that functionality is so important to you?

2 Likes

You’re giving up on Roon and all that it has to offer because it doesn’t integrate Amazon HD (which isn’t actually HD)? I think you got it the wrong way round, buddy.

1 Like

How predictable. Someone takes the time to come on here with a constructive post and gets circled by the forum vultures. As customers, it isn’t our job to defend Roon, but even more it isn’t our job to alienate people we don’t agree with; every time this happens (and it happens far too frequently), this becomes less of a useful place for the exchange of ideas and more of a clique.

I have run several large forums in the entertainment sector and know that when this behaviour is prominent, many people are scared off before they sign up and are potentially lost as customers of the products the community represents.

16 Likes

+1 (10 chars)

You don’t need to play hall monitor. There is nothing wrong with how this thread has transpired.

[Moderated]

2 Likes

Do you not see the irony in what you just posted? :wink:

2 Likes

There is no irony. I am not trying to limit the speech of anyone. Nick is free to complain and I am free to tell him that his complaints are misguided.

Hall monitor is the moderators job, not mine. My self-interest is that if people are scared away by all of the puerile “my dad is bigger than your dad” behaviour, Roon doesn’t get balanced customer feedback and we don’t get the features we might have otherwise had. I have no interest whatsoever in trying to make the children behave themselves. As to whether there is anything wrong with how the thread has transpired, I would refer you to Roon’s response in this thread, which said: “simply criticising someone for making a different choice is unhelpful and unnecessary”.

3 Likes

What we don’t need is a forum where everyone never says anything that makes someone else uncomfortable. Maybe you like forum interactions to all be “kumbaya” moments. But that is not particularly useful. Disagreement is the genesis of progress!

1 Like

We can certainly disagree without being disagreeable. :slightly_smiling_face:

Posts that essentially state, “if you don’t make the same choice as me then your choice is wrong”, aren’t particularly useful, IMHO. Sure, post why you made a different decision, but that doesn’t make another’s decision wrong. :wink:

I could argue that posts like the one that started this thread are not useful. After all, the OP’s reason for saying goodbye to Roon is not unique and will not prompt Roon to integrate with Amazon any more quickly.

If one does not want to participate in a potentially uncomfortable conversation, they should not start a conversation!

Yes, you certainly could argue that given Roon has stated it would integrate with Amazon if Amazon would agree to the level of integration Roon requires for the “Roon experience”.

I guess where I take issue is the way these “conversations” sometimes take place. Instead of disagreeing constructively in a respectful manner, the tone comes across more like an episode of The Jerry Springer Show.

I don’t know, perhaps this is just tapping into my frustration with the way people in general in this country just want to scream at each other (Jerry Springer Show style) rather than have a respectful conversation. :frowning:

Carry on. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This country? There are people here from all over the world screaming at each other.

1 Like