Why I Left Roon

I don’t really see that in this thread. Disagreement is not comfortable and disagreement is not disrespect.

1 Like

That is true.

I sincerely hope you are correct. :+1:

Hey, I saw you on another forum recently.

I think it was the Spatial Audio forum?

On AudioCircle? I do visit AudioCircle frequently.

1 Like

Since you don’t feel about Roon like you do Amazon, why don’t you contact Roon privately and spare everyone else.

Your post is akin to advertising.

Not sure if you’re speaking for everyone here. Sometimes you could get the impression certain people feel like they “own” this community. Takes all sorts.

1 Like

Why don’t you just say, “I’m not everyone else.” That would be more appropriate. Or, you could directly address me and say you agree with Peter.

Similarly, I could have worded it as “spare me.” Mea culpa.

I don’t feel an ownership of a forum. Don’t categorize. Understand. I feel like his post was an advertisement that is more appropriately directed at Roon in a fashion outside of this forum. It feels like he’s trying to garner votes for his way of thinking, like a politician, since he posted it as a declaration, not a response in a conversation. That is taking a stand, on a forum hosted by a company he’s posting about, campaigning against the forum host.

Nothing wrong with posting any of that from a free speech point of view, but my feeling is that one is kind of a loser to begin with if they use a public forum hosted by a company to denounce that company’s product and parade another’s product as superior when they have no stated skin in the game.

Pretty lame. Unless you somehow feel an allegiance to a faceless person you don’t know.

Because Roon actually ask for open and honest feedback on This Forum,

Some years ago I too was about to leave Roon when I sent a private message to Roon expressing why to save airing the dirty linen on the forum I was asked to post my comments on the forum for all to see instead . Indeed Roon wants this discourse to get a better feel of their customers reactions

I agree it should be positive and not degrade into a slanging match :sunglasses:

My 2p

5 Likes

That stuff happens every day. It’s not a big deal. Also, free speech is not pertinent to a privately owned forum such as this. Roon could shut down anything any of us posted if they wanted to.

well that’s obvious.

It didn’t sound like you understood that.

Interesting! The discourse is the ultimate. I should have stayed home.

1 Like

Opinions don’t undermine understanding. I explained.

FROM THE POSTER

My takeaway from this post dialogue is that some human beings love drama and/or a good fight. I am amazed at what commenters read into a very simple posting. Can’t we just take things at face value?

First, there’s no need to defend Roon. I never said it was a bad product. Here’s what I said:

1. Roon is one terrific piece of software.
  2. I’m writing this because I love Roon and would like it to be an outstanding product.
  3. Thanks for the good times.

We use products to meet needs. I simply said that Roon no longer meets my needs as it once did. I discovered that AMHD meets more of my needs at this time. For example, AMHD’s interface is not everyone’s cup of time, but it is mine. We all have preferences. I’m simply naming mine, purposefully not describing in detail what they are. Roon has plenty of feature requests on file to know the features its users would like to have.

I said I do not like to be in an ecosystem that limits options, in this case connectivity options. I said I understand why that may not be possible but understanding does not bring about more options. Practically, I needed to subscribe to Tidal and Qobuz to access 90% of the music I like. With AMHD alone, it’s closer to 98%. Different tastes in music sometimes require different streaming choices.

I believe that when you break up a relationship you owe an explanation, more or less extensive depending on the nature of the relationship. I received a very nice note from Roon thanking me for sharing. My decision should not affect anyone else’s opinion of Roon. If it does, ask yourself why. If Roon meets your needs, that is all that matters.

24 Likes

Well said!

You can construct a survey thread on this forum.

Thanks for the tip, Jim. I’ll explore.

I have my own issues with Roon, so I can see why there are many different reasons that people aren’t happy with it. There’s still a lot of low hanging fruit that could be improved before they even start to consider what other types of radical changes might take it to the next level. I’m a new customer so I’m going to give it a full year to see what happens. Sometimes I love it, other times I’m frustrated that Roon Radio is starting to become repetitive for some genres and I wish the Roon iOS app quality was A+ instead of B-.

I posted a reply to another thread recently where I suggested that Roon should add some way to pipe external audio into it so it can be distributed via RAAT etc. While it wouldn’t be a perfect solution and there are definitely some technical challenges, I think this would alleviate many people’s concerns about wanting Roon to integrate Amazon HD, Sirius, etc – because full integration may never be possible anyway (for technical and legal reasons beyond Roon’s control).

I’d be really curious to know why they haven’t done this yet, but it seems like Roon doesn’t comment on their road map as much these days as they used to.

2 Likes

Toilet paper manufacturers get free marketing