Why I'm saying goodbye to Qobuz 👋

Maybe Charlie Parker recorded just a lot of crap?! He was in need of the money. Qobuz just puts it all out there. Dunno

Okay, I’ll try one last time. There are labels who regurgitate out of copyright music that mostly have dubious provenance. Qobuz is so full of these that it affects my browsing of legacy artists.

The wonderful label giving us the music of Charlie Parker for Christmas shopping Xmas angels 33 certainly have an interesting repertoire.

I find this kind of thing annoying enough to drop Qobuz and stick with Tidal. This is musical spam to me and I’m voting with me feet.
Spotify doesn’t have any of this dross either.

.sjb

3 Likes

I have had deezer, tidal and Qobuz over the years and have setttled on Qobuz.

With respect to what you are seeing, if I select Charlie Parker ARTIST, I dont see what you see (noting I am looking via the Qobuz GUI as I dont use ROON anymore).

I will agree that of the three, Tidal tends to have less “fluff” and Deezer was the worst.

I am into legacy Jazz artists (my main reason for choosing Qobuz) and the way I manage “fluff” is to ensure I use the “relevance” tag in the Qobuz GUI. This ensures that real albums are shown first but not sure how this would translate inside ROON.

So what you are seeing inside ROON would appear to me to be how ROON is searching the Qobuz catalog and not specifically to do with Qobuz itself.

Peter

This complaint gets really tiresome.

2 Likes

As a followup, in the Qobuz GUI I searched for “Merry X Mas” (as per your screen shot).

I returned all variations (xmas, x-mas, x’mas etc) as per below.

I then looked for an album with the same cover as your screen shoot and it didnt exist… so not sure whats going on

I have an Ireland Qobuz subscription and I too rather annoyingly get 879 albums. There are an awful lot of box sets that haven’t been collected together, so that would reduce the body count. But there is something very odd going on. One of the albums is “Hunt’s Up” with an odd Edwardian line drawing cover that doesn’t exactly scream hard bop so I googled and Qobuz seems to have that as litterally dozens of artists. Charlie Parker, Clifford Brown, Quincy Jones and his Swedish All Stars, Duke Ellington, even Johnny Halliday. What gives? I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a similar story with many of the other “dubious” albums.

1 Like

interesting… I followed your footsteps and got the same result but no references to Qobuz US (only IE and UK)

If you look at the label associated with this “album” you see the have 12471 albums… so clearly they have spammed Qobuz

BUT…

This is where its interesing.

The google search points to the qobuz store in IE and UK.

So if I pick one of the artists associated with this album cover (in this case Benny Golson) in Qobuz US and I then look at Benny Golson’s albums via a qobuz artist search, this crappy “album” doesnt appear.

So this might suggest ROON is getting feed qobuz store releases which dont appear as part of the normal artist catalog in qobuz

I went to the US store and did a search on “hunts up” and “hunt’s up” and got a small number of albums (60), none with that cover.

I also did searches in the US store and the main Qobuz GUI for 'cappo digital" and got no matching record label. So this spam from the cappo digital label isnt in the US Catalog/store

Very weird. Something not right here. Does Qobuz even know about these albums. Is that possible? Some scam?

In Austria / EU I get the same kind of spam, when going to the artist page of Charlie Parker (471 albums, incl. Christmas shopping songs) or - even worse - Miles Davis (1478 albums, incl. Christmas shopping songs).
I think someone (Qobuz?) creates computer (bot) generated „playlists“ of legacy artists, giving them a fake album name and a fake label name, and streams or sells them as „albums“. That kind of album fake also increases the Qobuz catalogue‘s total number of “albums“, so they can show off their increasing catalogue in order to catch up with the big streaming services like Spotify, Apple, Deezer, etc.
There is definitely something wrong going on. Qobuz do you here me?

Hi
Have you asked this question to Qobuz support?
Dirk

I did. Waiting for reply.

After listening to Charlie Parker for almost 50 years I didn’t realize that there was such a thing as too much Charlie Parker. Yea to both Tidal and Qobuz! Bird Lives!

From Phil Schaap’s Wikipedia entry:
" Schaap currently hosts two shows on WKCR, both of which began in 1981: the morning show Bird Flight , which is broadcast from 8:20 to 9:30 AM on weekdays and is devoted to the music of Charlie Parker, and Traditions In Swing , which is broadcast on Saturday evenings from 6 to 9 PM."

I listened to this show almost daily for well over 20 years.

2 Likes

I’ve also sent a question. Let’s see what they say.

This is kinda fishy…

http://open.qobuz.com/album/tixt7u6aymghc

And it sounds awful
Dirk

I also only get 130 – total for both services.

It’s not a scam, but a loophole in the law that allows these dubious releases (often in the EU) that are beyond some arbitrary copyright lifetime limit to pollute not just Qobuz, but all online services. Amazon actually sells many of these “grey market” (IMHO) reissues and compilations.

I follow some artists myself and oftentimes, there are more of these dubious reissues (often with poor sound quality) than there are legit albums in the first few lines of albums, if you sort on newest releases first. It even happens on vinyl–try finding a new, 180g vinyl copy of Bill Evans’ Waltz For Debby on Amazon and see what’s out there–some are on wonky knock-off record labels (like Wax Time, Doxy, etc.) that for all we know, reissue a CD or needle drop on vinyl, and create new album cover art (99% of the time very poorly) to either throw off suspicion, or trick us into purchasing something we already own.

The fault isn’t so much with Qobuz, but their distributors. If we complain to Qobuz or, more appropriately, complain to the right person at Qobuz, we might at least get an explanation of why it’s happening. (I may have a chance to do this in April.) Complaining on an Internet forum won’t do much good, I’m afraid, beyond triggering a call to action where we all contact them to make them aware (with specific examples) so they can address it.

Qobuz is run by music lovers, and I’m sure many of them would bristle if they knew the extent of the rot setting in from these shady releases that are legal on a technicality but also rob the original labels and the performing artists (or their estates) of income. They can’t check everything, but if many of us report this issue to them, at least they will be aware of it and perhaps find a way to “cleanse” a lot of these out of their system.

Thanks for the explanation. At least I understand it now. I had to contact Qobuz on another matter and so I took the opportunity to raise this at the same time. But it got lost with a support person who was obviously not mother tongue English (French I assume). This is the sort of thing that needs to be raised at a corporate level.

Sounds like you have contacts and/or a plan. Is there something you can suggest? It is very easy to find examples. As you say, from comments here, it seems primarily to be affecting EU subscribers and as you can see on this thread driving some users away from their subscriptions. I’m not prepared to take that step but I wonder if there is some filtering at the ingestion stage that roon could perform to help with this?

Checking just 2019 Charlie Parker albums there are 58 on Qobuz, 6 on Tidal (some of these on both). I’m not great lover of Tidal but they obviously have some way to stop this indiscriminate dissemination of out of copyright material.

Check “Time Out”, 6 Tidal versions, 22 Qobuz versions. My initial point being that Qobuz oozes curation by music lovers, yet Tidal seems to manage this dross much better.

I believe there is a Qobuz person on audiophile style, it might be worth asking over there?

.sjb

Sorry to hear anyone leaving a company that provides hi-rez audio. Personally, I absolutely love Qobuz.

5 Likes