Why I'm saying goodbye to Qobuz šŸ‘‹

Well that and MQA for tidal requires both, since otherwise (IMHO) Qobuz is slightly better on my Rig

1 Like

Yeah, I prefer Qobuz Hi-Res to over MQA, and Iā€™d likely drop Tidal if Qobuzā€™s US catalog were anywhere near as good as Tidalā€™s.

2 Likes

I cancelled my Tidal subscription a couple of months ago. Iā€™m quite happy with Qobuz.

3 Likes

I am with Qobuz since 2013.
I see no need to change that.

1 Like

Why are you showing Tidal screenshots, and claiming itā€™s Qobuz?

I love Qobuz and wonā€™t cancel because of this reason, but I think this type of spam is annoying too. Iā€™m quite curious what they have to say about it.

Same here :+1:

This is an important tip. If you search from his ā€œcomposerā€ page, youā€™ll get all the covers of anything he wrote for his band, show music, others, etc.

Spam in the sense that itā€™s probably garbage, yeah. But, having worked at a couple of digital music services (eMusic, Spotify), thereā€™s certainly no QC in the sense that someone has a ā€œletā€™s check out everything we just got here and make sure weā€™re on boardā€. Itā€™s all backend feeds from labels and distributors. If someone complains sure, they might get to it but otherwise itā€™s just cruft at the back of the virtual bin.
Iā€™d expect the difference between Tidal and Qobuz to lie primarily in their being based in the US and EU, with the latter being home to a host of royalty free repackagers that have disto agreements with Qobuz. At this stage Qobuz might see an advantage to inflate their catalog with this kind of stuff, to keep their library size appearing comparable.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to bring that up to them. Itā€™s bad enough I have to wade through sites like Amazon that issue these grey-market releases, but to see them on Qobuz is not a pleasant thing either.

3 Likes

Well the time is fast approachingā€¦

I was one of those who had both Tidal and Qobuz, so now I have ā‚¬300 extra to spend on purchasing music or going to concerts this year.

.sjb

1 Like

fwiw, iā€™m in the US, but have a french subscription (iā€™ve had it for years). i show 951 Bird albums, from Q & T.

It is strange how location and settings look to give different answers to the same request. I can accept there are issues here.

But I will try to give another point of view: why do I keep my Qobuz subscription?

My old 180EUR/year subscription gives me access to the whole qobuz catalog in CD quality (far enough for my bandwidth). Furthermore, I can BUY nearly all the releases in Hi-Res for usually between 5 to 10 (EUR in my case) each, sometimes less. Price for a beer here!

Buying them keeps me platform-independent. More important, IMO, I pay directly the artists (minus fees, I guess). On the opposite, the all-streaming model pays mostly the service.
A long time ago, I read something like 1USD/10000 streamed songs going back to the artist (I donā€™t know how true it is). If only 10% going to the artist when buying, it looks far better for him.

As far as I know, qobuz is the only service to have this kind of discount. I wouldnā€™t have bought the same quantity of albums if I had to pay a CD price for each.

Unfortunately, it looks like, nowadays, the sublime+, which is more expensive, is the only subscription available with the discount buying feature.

You are entitled to your current subscription, untill you stop it (once).
At least, that is how it id today but I do not expect changes coming up soon.
Dirk

The Qobuz app is a total car crash in this respect. The album list for any artist generally includes loads of EPs and random singles, and you have to open each one individually to see whether or not itā€™s actually an album at all. Tidal, on the other hand, only calls something an album if itā€™s an album, and has separate lists for tracks and EPs.
Roon does a better job with all this stuff than Qobuz themselves do. Still, much as I want to like Qobuz, I still feel that they need to up their game before Iā€™ll be tempted to jump from Tidal.

1 Like

The Qobuz database is a mess. During a search the number of results found by artists does not correspond to anything. Album, Single, EP no indication can make the difference. Most worrisome is that these problems have existed from the start and have never been fixed. Letā€™s not even talk about the Carplay application which is a shame and has never evolved. I want to like Qobuz, but this service fixes the problem too slowly or never, despite what they say. Being a premium service requires a lot of work and probably a lot of money.

3 Likes

@Coltrane with a nickname like yours you should be ashamed to put that kind of misinformed nonsense out there. Every note Charlie Parker recorded is the highest form of artistry.

sorry to hijack the thread, but I honestly wonder if that is the case. Do you know for sure that when buying the hi-res files the money goes to the artist? I donā€™t know, but I would be surprised if hi-res doesnā€™t follow the same model as any other format: the artist gets a very small percentage and the label gets the lionā€™s share.

1 Like

Usually, artists get one royalty, then there is another for publishers, producers,composers, etc. If the artist only contributes the performance, they will only get paid in the 10-15% range. If they perform, compose, produce and distribute the tunes, they can get up into the 75-80% payment range.

Update!

I just used a VPN to avail of the $14.99 offer from the USA and it works fine without VPN once signed up.

I dislike the $14.99 / ā‚¬14.99 / $14.99 pricing and am glad to be able to circumvent it.

And being the USA version I am not subjected to the Charlie Parker Christmas shopping songs fiasco!

.sjb

2 Likes