Why is Mytek Brooklyn an Unidentified Audio Device in Roon

Hi @Andrej_Jerman

are you on mac via USB? Mytek only support native DSD on windows, using Mytek driver.
On the Mac, as no custom driver has been developed, the system is limited to PCM . I have a Brooklyn (old version) and I logged a ticket with Mytek a year ago… It doesn’t seem to be a priority for them
Hope this helps

Marco

1 Like

I am using a Sonore ultraRendu driving the Brooklyn DAC+. The RoonReady setting on the ultraRendu is set to use native DSD support, and Roon is showing that it outputting DSD64 and the front display of the DAC+ shows DSD x64.

Oh, so it appears to be a Mac vs. a Windows issue. I’m using a Lenovo “Tiny” Windows 10 PC (i7, 16GB, 1 TB SSD) connected via USB to an original version Brooklyn.

Hi @HeavyMetalDrummer

an extra link in the chain that is capable of running DSD (Sonore, Rasperry Pi with Ropieee etc) will work. I am using for that a RPi with Ropieee but I want to upgrade to Sonore due some crackling noises on the RPi with high res songs that I cannot fix.
What for sure doesn’t work for DSD is a direct connection from Mac to Brooklyn/Brooklyn+
cheers

M

Hi,

Mytek does not provide OSX/Linux drivers for our DACs, i believe because these implement out-of-the-box usbclass2 generic drivers which are able to Plug n’ play.
(they currently have no plans to provide drivers, according to Mytek)

Generic drivers only implement PCM, and consequently DSD is accomplished over PCM (DoP).
Because the way DSD is encapsulated on PCM, 384khz rates (the Brooklyn limit) are only able to handle up to DSD128 (DSD256 DoP would need at least double that limit)

I know at least 3 ways to achieve DSD256 on BDAC/BDAC+:

• PC with Windows with Mytek Drivers installed
  • NUC/Nucleous with Roon Rock
  • Streamer that implements DSD natively for our DACs (either a linux based one or any other checking within vendor compatibility list)

Myself, I use SoTM sms200 ultra neo with great results :slight_smile:

But that said, I do not make use of DSD256 capabilities:

• library is short on DSD256 (or any DSD for that matter)
  • Several comparisons back/forth, did not show advantages converting/upsampling to DSD256

Cheers!

1 Like

Hooray! The Mytek Brooklyn is now officially a Roon Identified Audio Device. Although not mentioned in the Roon 1.5 (Build 363) release notes, after updating my Windows 10 PC core this morning, I now have a really swell looking Brooklyn cartoon image on my roon core and all my remote control devices. There does not appear to be any distinction between the original Brooklyn and the Plus.
(See lower right corner below)

5 Likes

Nice catch. I just checked and I now have a Brooklyn DAC picture after I hit identify device on the config page.

1 Like

FYI, you may have to select “Load Defaults” in Device setup so the MQA Capabilities selection is set to “Decoder and Renderer” or select same. When I updated the MQA Capability setting reverted to “No MQA Support”, i.e. no MQA blue light on the Brooklyn. I also noticed there are now no additional “advanced options” when you click “SHOW ADVANCED”.

When can wee expect Brooklyn DAC+ to be identified automatically? Brooklyn and recently Manhattan II was added but DAC+ still missing and not detected. Of course i can force and choose Brooklyn but it’s not how this should work. Thanks

Hear hear!!

1 Like