Why is Roon ignoring my song genre tags?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I didn’t see your post until I already downloaded and tried mp3tag. Out of curiosity, I opened up dbpoweramp Batch Converter to check it out. For some reason it doesn’t see my streamer where the music is stored for streaming (mp3tag does see the streamer). It sees the backup files on my laptop and desktop computer, but not the streamer. Maybe it has something to do with the streamer using a version of Linux as it’s operating system?

I used mp3tag as suggested and forced a Roon rescan. It appears to have worked…yay! So far the albums I’ve checked out only show genres I’ve specified in the tracks (no Style info showing as genres like before).

I greatly appreciate the help in understanding how Roon handles genres and how to get it to show genres as I expect. I’m still disappointed playing via track level genres isn’t an option (I posted in the Feature Request thread asking for this), but I’m happy I at least have a better understanding of what’s going on (feeling a little less lost!).

2 Likes

Glad you sorted. Quick question, where do you source track based genre metadata?

Odd that mp3tag can see the files but not dbpa. Linux on the streamer shouldn’t make any difference. Both mp3tag and dbpa are windows programs. I know you’ve solved the problem for now, but in the future you could try mapping the streamer files to a drive letter on your computer where you run dbpa. That’s what I do.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1849099/mapping-drive-letter-folder-share-windows.html

I’m not sure what you are asking. Are you asking where I get the genre info for individual tracks?

If so, when I rip a CD using dbpoweramp it fills in genre info. However, often times I will change the genre info for a track to suit what I want it to be.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks for the feedback. I took a look at that link and it seemed a bit complicated for this computer novice. :fearful: Since I was successful with mp3tag, I think I’ll leave well enough alone and keep your suggestion in mind in case I try to go that route in the future. :slight_smile:

I understand that complicated is in the eye of the beholder. But should you ever need to, assigning a letter to a network drive on windows is a couple of mouse clicks, and selecting which letter you want… so don’t be afraid to try.

[quote=“James_Kirkman, post:25, topic:12185”]
Does this answer your question?
[/quote]yip, thx. I was wondering whether or not you had an automated source.

Thank you for the encouragement. :slight_smile:

[quote=“evand, post:28, topic:12185, full:true”]

I like to keep my genres simple, hence the reason why I often change it from what dbpoweramp assigns (too many choices!).

I like to add my own Tags in Roon and use them as a sort. For example, I have a tag called “Bourbon” which is for albums I like to listen to when sipping Bourbon. Another, call “Red Wine” which applies to more … romantic oriented music. Instead, I could have easily just added my own “Soft Jazz” tag and applied it.

1 Like

I’m back!

It seems in one of the updates changes were made to the way Roon attaches genre tags to albums. Now I feel like I’m back where I started at the beginning of this thread, though this time is a little different.

Today I was playing music by genre; I selected Pop/Rock and noticed a song come up from an album that’s clearly Opera. This album has no other genre tag in the file. It seems now Roon has added a bunch of different genres to it (I don’t think the file itself has been changed by Roon).

I have Roon set to only show genres from file tags. In the album view it shows as it should

However, in the Album Edit/Edit Fields under Genre it shows a bunch of Roon genres selected in addition to the file genre tag (you can see I deselected some of Roon’s genres)

Here’s another album showing all the Roon genre tags added to my file genre tag (I haven’t edited this album)

It appears I can edit it to only have my file genre tag selected, but it’s not practical to do this for every album (almost 600 of them) manually.

Is there any way to get Roon to only use my file genre tags again?

In addition, I’m still hoping Roon will offer track level genre playback at some point!

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Hi James,

Welcome back!

The Roon Genres that show when you’re editing fields are not relevant if you have Show Roon Genres set to No. So, editing them should have no effect.

If you go into the Album Browser and focus on Pop/Rock, does that Opera album in the last screenshot (unedited) show up? Just scroll through the albums to see if it’s there.

Cheers, Greg

Thank you for the quick reply.

I did as you said and the Opera album does not show up (the first one pictured in my post doesn’t show up either). So why woukd a track from the first “Opera” album play when I selected to play from only the Pop/Rock genre? It’s as if those Roon tags do matter when playing by genre even when set only to show the genre tags in the files.

Confused… :frowning:

PS - a screenshot to confirm my settings (I haven’t altered them)

This is very odd.

Do you have more than one device to control your music? If so, do they all have the same genre settings as in your screenshot?

Grasping at straws here.

Maybe see if it happens again and report back.

Others may have some suggestions as well.

Cheers, Greg

The only devices I have with Roon control are my iPad mini 2 (latest iOS) which I use 99.9% of the time, and a desktop computer (PC Windows 10) which is rarely used. At the time the issue occurred I was using the iPad and the desktop was powered off.

To be sure I checked the Roon control settings on the desktop and verified they are the same as on the iPad.

Btw, I’m the only one in the household (only two of us) who uses Roon.

I’m just guessing, but it looks like since the Roon genre tags can be checked and unchecked that they may be a factor in the behavior I’m seeing (perhaps erroneously…a bug?).

Is this a bug?

Anyone? :frowning:

Hi James,

I’ve tried, and failed, to reproduce this issue.

Could you try again and track what steps you take when it happens? ie. what genre you focus on, whether you select Play or Radio, what genre played that shouldn’t, etc.

Also, we can flag @support and see if anyone else has run into this issue.

Cheers, Greg

Yes, I’ll try it again when I get a chance and let you know what happens. Unfortunately I don’t get to listen as much as I would like…sigh.

Last time I touched the 3 bars at the upper left corner of the screen, under Browse I selected Genres, then selected the Pop/Rock genre, then selected Play Genre, then selected Play Now. I noticed that it played at least one track, and I think more, from an album that only has an Opera genre tag in the file. But as you saw in my screenshots, Roon had other genre tags associated with it when you look in Album Editor.

Am I correct that since In settings I have it set only to display my file tag genres (not Roon’s) that it should only play tracks from albums that have the selected genre file tag? In other words, if I select to play the Pop/Rock genre, it should only play tracks from albums that have the Pop/Rock genre tag in the file (again, not from Roon’s tags)? Do I understand this correctly? Btw, I do understand that currently Roon does not use tags at track level, just album level.

Thank you again for your time and help.