Why is Roon ignoring my song genre tags?

Hi James,

Ah ha! I think you found a bug!

The information you provided allowed me to reproduce the issue. From what I understand, if you select the Genre Browser, select your genre and click Play Genre then Play Now, it should only play albums that have that genre in your tags. Instead it plays albums that contain that genre under Roon Genres.

I will summarize the issue so @support can investigate.

1. In Settings, use Roon Genres set to No
  2. In Settings, Show Genres from File Tags set to Yes. So Roon Genres are not being used at all
  3. Navigate to Genre Browser. Select a genre. Click Play Genre and then Play Now.
  4. Roon will play albums that have that genre in Roon Genres, even though you donā€™t use Roon genres.

Also, if you go into Album Browser and Focus on a Genre and click Play Now, it works as expected.

Hope thatā€™s correct and makes sense.

Cheers, Greg

Your summary looks correct.

Do I understand you correctly that if I instead go into Album Browser and Focus on a Genre and click Play Now it will work as it should? Iā€™ve never tried that method of playing by genre.

Iā€™'m happy to hear you were able to reproduce this issue. Hopefully itā€™s an easy fix. :slight_smile:

Hi James,

Yes, I use Focus all the time. Itā€™s a lot more flexible, allowing you to focus in on a lot more than just one genre.

For example, you can select a genre or multiple genres, select a date range (ie 1970-1980) and file format (ie hires). You get the idea.

Also, by clicking on the + of a selected genre and making it a - you can exclude something too.

If you find that thereā€™s a Focus you use often, then save it as a Bookmark. Once you have your focus results showing, click the Bookmark icon in the top right of the screen next to the search and click Add Bookmark and give it a name. Every time you select it, it will bring up the screen with refreshed results.

Cheers, Greg

I believe so :tada:

Weā€™re going to confirm this and make sure itā€™s resolved for our next release. Thanks for the report @James_Kirkman!

Thanks for the great tips, Greg. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the support. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any progress on identifying the bug and fixing it?

Hi @James_Kirkman ----- I wanted to touch base with you real quick to confirm that this issue is resolved for our next release, but we do not have a firm release date yet.

Thanks!
-Eric

Good to hear itā€™s been fixed.

Thank you for the update. :slight_smile:

Did the recent build 165 release fix this? I didnā€™t see it mentioned in the release notes.

I donā€™t have access to my system at the moment to test it (recovering from surgery).

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi James,

Apparently not yet. Just tested and the issue is still there.

It may be in the version 1.3 release. Donā€™t know when that will be.

Cheers, Greg

:frowning:

Was this fixed in 1.3?

I canā€™t test it right now because Iā€™m having another problem since updating this morning.

Hi James,

I believe it was fixed. Give it a try when you can and let us know if youā€™re still having issues.

Cheers, Greg

Thanks Greg. Hopefully it wonā€™t take too long to fix my other issue. Right now Roon cant see my music collection. I have another thread going about this.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Custom Genre Changes Ignored by Roon