Why is Roon so resource hungry? And is Roon development hamstrung...?

Hardly ever use my tablet these days for anything so it’s never near me, always phone, it’s always at hand. Does the job for 99% ok Roon tasks, if I want focus or DSP I generally use my laptop as a remote.

2 Likes

Agreed, I use tablet for 80+% of day-to-day tasks. grab the macbook air for medium intense tasks, and my iMacPro really only for 4k video editing and similar serious stuff…

I use my iPad 95% of the time…I have used my iPhone once just to see how it worked. I use my iMac to control Roon in my home office…

Thanks @Fernando_Pereira & others above…I am still reading all the info intently.

On that basis, I have learnt a great deal & moving forward have a much better understanding of what I will need and some of the reasons why.

Cheers all. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I use an iPad Mini 3 as my main Roon Control, and a desktop Remote when sitting at my desk. I love the iPad Mini. I bought it second hand just as the Mini 4 came out so was able to get a good price. Definitely recommended as a Roon Control.

1 Like

I prefer to use my Dell XPS 15 laptop as my Roon control device. I sit in my recliner with it on my lap for hours on end and it works really well with Roon. At times, I will use my iPad Mini 4 to control Roon and it works very well also, but I just prefer the laptop. Rarely, I use my iPhone 6S Plus, but no more. I traded it in today and bought a new iPhone 11 Pro Max and I understand it has problems with Roon. I’ll give it a try when we get home Saturday, but if it doesn’t work, that’s OK with me.

1 Like

Congrats Jim on the new phone upgrade - hope it works well with Roon for you. :sunglasses:

I don’t feel an iPhone is a very good Roon control device. Others may like it and some iPhones work great, but it’s just not a good user experience for me. I recommend a tablet or laptop.

2 Likes

That’s the thing. It should be a good control device. I really hope they are working on a proper native app for iOS.

1 Like

Noted. I respect that opinion. It’s not only about the form factor though… It’s about the quality of the IxD. There are so many mobile apps which do what they are designed for extremely well. Roon could have something similar making the mobile offering more enticing to users like you.

I have multiple devices in use as Roon remotes myself: a MacBook Pro, mostly stationary at my desk, an iPad Pro, an iPhone… I use the iPhone very often to get playback started and do some light queue management. For exploration I typically use the iPad or the MBP when at my desk working.

What I’m saying is this: despite the mobile form factor a smart phone could be a better control device. It currently is not as the mobile Roon app is lacking both in functionality and IxD polish. It could be so much better…

1 Like

You think a phone is too small try with an iPod hehehehe

1 Like

I haven’t used my phone much but I agree with this. For one thing, the lack of the text filter funnel disables sorting of Roon Tags being displayed on the phone. That undoes my whole smart playlist organizational scheme right there.

I am never using the Roon App on my iPhone because I find it pretty much unusable.

Actually, you are on, imho, Version 8, as I count the shift to 1.0 in Dec '15 as a major version change, and Seven dot.X increments since. Roon is a gradually incrementing software; since the beginning. And, major changes to the software were not just at the large .X releases; like DSD playback was included in an between .X version update

What Roon looked like, how it worked in terms of playback, and underlying protocols at v1.0 is very different than the current software. RAAT didn’t debut until v 1.2, for example.

1 Like

Can people explain how the phone app is unusable, i use it all the time and find quite the opposite. It’s not as feature rich granted but for finding and playing music which is what Roons for it does the job. Not sure what the fuss is about and it’s not much different from most other music apps in this regard. It could do with sideways scrolling but it’s hardly unusable.

1 Like

When I listen, I wanna look up details of composition, may be composer if he‘s new, artists… Just sitting there and hitting play, ok iPhone App is good enough for that. :sunglasses: But for just hitting play I dont need Roon to start with.

1 Like

I can still do that on my phone in the same way as on a tablet or laptop and do this a lot. Yes it’s not all revealed and layed out as well as on the larger screens but you get access to all the same info. To say it’s useless is just untrue as its perfectly usable. You might prefer the other screens bigger layout that’s all, like you prefer the presentation of one set of speakers over another it doesn’t mean one is useless.

I have had no skipped tracks as long as everything is wired:

I stream from a local collection 58,00 tracks | 3159 albums. They are on a fairly old Drobo5. My Roon core is a SonicTransporter i7. I have 7 endpoints throughout the house, no station has the same equipment, and everything has wired ethernet (on the floor - not built-in!). None of the ethernet equipment is specialized, custom, or expensive.

This is a fairly complex and extensive system run with consistent control by Roon. Lots of other ethernet traffic runs on the same network most of the time. My point is that Roon seems to do quite a lot without taking up too many resources.

Horses for courses. Why would you ever want to control Roon with an iPhone if you have an iPad?

2 Likes

I don’t have either :slight_smile: don’t do Apple. My phone is always on me, tablet isnt as it’s not as mobile and often in another room. I use Roon in multiple rooms and systems so a phone is way more practical as its always on my person in whatever room I happen to be in and want to listen.

3 Likes