Why is Roon so resource hungry? And is Roon development hamstrung...?

I think if you are playing music, skipping tracks, following links then a phone is great as, these days, it is always there.
If you want to manipulate music with tags, DSP, bookmarks, then it isn’t as good or indeed incapable.
Also depends what you are doing and what you are listening through. I’m not carting a tablet out into the garden when I’m weeding. I have my old phone which is now repurposed as a roon control point in my pocket.

2 Likes

Great minds :smile:

I like the fact that you can use so many devices for remote control. Some for convenience and some for the setup, configuration and searching.

I had a neighbor come by and mention he was moving to a beautiful spread in Colorado and wanted advice on setup for music in his new place. I had talked to him previously about Roon and he was interested in checking it out. We were in the kitchen where I have a Elac Z3 which is always on. No power button. And the NUC in the media closet is always on. I pulled out my phone and 30 seconds later we had a playlist going. No powering on equipment, no setup, just a couple of touches on the phone and the room filled with music. He loved it and asked if I would be willing to take a vacation in Colorado and set it up for him.

Yea, road trip after the current situation is under control…

The phone remote definitely has it’s place.

2 Likes

Same here. I use a phone when chilling on the patio. It’s all I need and I use it more for seeing what’s playing when something unfamiliar pops up on roon radio than anything else. Otherwise I use a tablet or desktop.

The roon remote apps are superior to those of any other music software that I’ve used, and one of it’s great features.

I have 145K local tracks, but have about 0.2% or less CPU usage, and memory usage on par with Google Chrome browser. But I don’t use the DSP, and have mostly default settings for most functions. But that said, it can vary widely. I was just watching my usage, and although CPU usage was 0.2% or less 98% of the time, it jumped to 4% once; memory usage was 80MB 98% of the time, but once jumped up to 1.8GB for a few seconds.

1 Like

It is interesting - do you have any idea why there was that spike at the time?

Maybe it did a quick scan?? I’m sure it was something it does intermittently, based on settings, but exactly what, I don’t know.

Yup - seems to get resource hungry from time to time - not always easy (for me) to get a handle on what Roon is doing.

145k local tracks - that is a large library. I didn’t pick up on that at first. :sunglasses:

My Roon core is on a 2012 13" Macbook Pro. I have noticed that it’s best to shut down the laptop in the morning and start afresh every morning. If I keep it on 24/7 for convenience, Roon will eventually skip tracks and the laptop will shut down and reboot spontaneously while the laptop body feels very hot. So somehow, over time, it gets sort of overworked and it needs a reboot / cool down. Which is not a problem, since I mostly sleep at night anyway. Roon takes long to start since I have a LOT of albums, but not longer than it takes to shower and brush teeth so that is not an issue either. HD with music is connected via USB and the DAC is also directly plugged into USB, so no wifi signal needed besides the other laptop’s Roon app to control / select / add music.

I plan to eventually buy a newer (second hand) mac laptop and expect it will be a little more relaxed even though it’s not urgent to do so.

Laptop years are calculated like dog years but worse1 human = 12 Laptop years. So at 96 it’s not surprising it runs out of steam during the day and needs a long sleep. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@ged_hickman1 that makes much sense!

1 Like

Also, old laptops had awful HDs… slow, noisy and all.

1 Like

Jim, USB HDD is not a back up unless you keep it at another house well away

Even safe deposit boxes create a risk. In addition to this example (link below), I read an article last year on how a bank shut down a branch, didn’t notify the customers, and ALL the safe deposit boxes were simply gone (construction on the interior gutted the area and no one knew what had happened to the boxes). Can’t find the article, but sad part is that the liability of the bank was quite limited.

But in any case, yes, any backup is better than none. I keep one USB drive backup (unattached except when updating) at 3 different locations, work, home, weekend cottage. And one stored at a relative’s place 2000 miles away, updated maybe once a year.

I thought they were in the Cayman Islands Jim? :wink:

1 Like

Let’s stay on topic people.

A post was split to a new topic: Off-topic moderation

Going back to the original topic… Decided to enable background audio analysis on my Roon Core (NUC7i5DNHE, Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS, 8GB RAM, 120GB M.2 SSD, 4TB SATA SSD) because why not? Audio analysis set to use 2 cores. Streaming 192/24 to a Pi2AES+Pi4B endpoint (RopieeeXL) from the SATA SSD. This not “resource hungry” in my book:

1 Like

Hi Fernando - interesting.

Can you break that down into plain English for me please? I’m not entirely sure what it all means. Thank you.

Best regards. :smile:

Just from looking at the CPU graph:
He has 4 processors, 2 are running full blast (presumably from background audio analysis) and the small spikes above are the actual DSP and/or streaming of the music.
Ergo, analysing audio is resource intensive, streaming music is not.

2 Likes